Chapter 13

The silence is getting heavier and heavier, but despite that, I take the time to look at them in every detail. They are all incredibly beautiful in spite of their physical differences. I get a nervous laugh. I recover quite quickly.

"Excuse me, I guess it's my turn now. My name is Veronica, daughter of..." I'm taking a break. I don't know if I can really trust them. No one was supposed to know about my mission on the shore and yet they tried to kill me anyway. I'm picking up. "... nobody, nobody's daughter, it's just Veronica."

Kris looks at me before slightly bending the right side of his mouth and deflecting his vision when our eyes cross. Azarias brings me back to reality.

"And what was our little Just Veronica doing on the shore to get mugged?"

The question is taking me by surprise and I am trying to quickly find a plausible excuse.

"Well... Nothing very specific actually. I was going to the 20th district, where the damned souls are welcomed as reinforcements."

'So you're a demon?' asks Till

I agree kindly with all the conviction I can show now to attest to my words.

'But if you are a demon, how could you survive the Holy Waters?' Kallias asks me, unconvinced.

"Well, I must have been lucky with Kris's intervention, simply."

Kallias scrutinizes me as if he were trying to probe my soul before turning his gaze in the direction of Ambros waiting for his approval.

"It's probably plausible, I don't know exactly how this river works. I think our new friend here knows better because she's from this kingdom."

My explanations and the intervention do not seem to convince Kallias completely, who remains on the defensive.

"Well, I think it's time for all of us to get back to our tents and rest." Kris says. "Veronica, you may rest in the tent you was in earlier."

'But what about you? Where are you going to sleep?' asked Lénaïc.

"A night under the stars never hurt anyone!" Kris starts laughing as he grabs Lénaïc by the shoulders to bring him closer to him and ruffle his hair in a fraternal embrace. Everyone wishes a pleasant night and join the large tents located a little further away from the campfire.

I myself joined the tent that had served me as an infirmary earlier. Finally alone, I started to think about the best solution for me in my current situation. I quickly came to the conclusion that it was best to keep my identity a secret for now. That's when I hear Kris' voice across the hall.

"Veronica, can I come in please?"

"Ah yes, yes of course!"

He opens the canvas which serves as a door and enters accompanied by Fen.

"Thanks, I'm sorry to bother you, I just wanted to pick up some stuff for the night." Then he tells me that he grabs things left and right while the wolf comes to rub against me in search of caresses.

"It is my turn to apologize. I am the one who forces you to sleep outside." I say to him as I caress Fen between the ears.

'Well, he seems to like you!' adds Kris, amused.' And don't worry. You don't have to apologize. You have been in shock very recently, you will be better off here to recover and rest. I would be remiss if I left you outside after what you have experienced."

I smile at him, touched by his consideration.

"Thank you Kris."

"You're welcome. If you need something to make you feel comfortable for the night, feel free to help yourself in my bag. There should be 1 or 2 clean T-shirts inside."

I acquiesce then he redirects to the exit. As he was about to go through the door, he turns to me and adds.

"You know, even though I'm convinced you're not telling us the whole truth, we're on your side. I fully understand that you are suspicious of us. We have just met. But know that, with us you are safe. Besides, I don't know who's mad at you, but when I fished you out, you held that piece of cloth firmly in your hands." He said to me, as he handed me the cloth he had just taken out of his pocket. "I don't know what it is or who it is, but it seemed important enough for you to hold on to it like that. Well, I'll leave you alone. Good night Veronica." With these words, he waved to me and went out.

I find it hard to fall asleep, as the news of the day loops in my head. So many questions and yet not so few answers. After a long time in a circle in the bed, I decide to go out for some fresh air to change my mind. What a surprise for me in front of the scene unfolding before me. Kris and Fen are near the fire, the man with his back resting on the sides of the beast, both asleep. It was through this moment of vulnerability that I was able to see clearly the merging relationship between the two. That is quite touching. Me who thought to have a privileged relationship with Nightmare I have to face the fact that these two beat us flat. I stand there for a few moments, watching them. This touching picture awakens something strange in me. However, I do not have time to analyze what is happening because someone is interrupting me in my train of thought.

'Well then little thing, we admire the beautiful wolf in its natural habitat?'

Azarias comes to meet me and puts his arm around my shoulders as some of his friends had already done before.

'Oh good evening Azarias, what are you doing here?' I asked him.

"My watch and make sure the fire is still alive. Nothing interesting, until I meet you here. What about you, little thing?"

'Nothing special either, to tell you the truth, I just wanted to get some air as I couldn't sleep.'

"Well, are we concerned?"

"I have to admit, yes, a little bit. Recent events are bothering me more than I thought."

"Yes I understand, and that's totally normal. Do you want to talk about it?"

"Actually, I wouldn't even know what to tell you. Everything is still very unclear in my mind."

"I see. Feel free to confide in me or any of us if you feel the need. It doesn't sound like that, but... we're pretty good at it. But some of us are also good at other things." His smile easily transcribed his thoughts at that moment. "Excuse me but I have to get back to my watch before the next shift. Try to get some sleep anyway. And don't worry, I won't say anything about your little observation session tonight." He winks at me as he puts his finger in front of his mouth to notify me of his silence. I laugh slightly.

"Yes, I'll go back to bed. Good night and good luck to you."

He waved at me as he walked away. I took the opportunity to take the direction of my sleeping.