【Chapter 1】

I stood there as everyone around the campfire stopped their conversations and looked at me. There were so many of them. The forest around us was dark and it was cold. It seemed the only warmth was around the campfire. Everyone was silent until I decided to speak up.

"𝘐'𝘮 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘮𝘺 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳, 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘩𝘦𝘳?"

A few of their faces fell into a slight frown as they looked at one another. It was as if they were silently deciding who should talk to me. A boy spoke up shortly after.

"𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘺 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦."

The boy who spoke up came forward. I studied him as he spoke, not understanding what he meant. My little sister is out there alone with my delusional and drunk mother. The boy had messy dark hair and his dark eyes gave off a gentle look. His gaze made me feel somewhat comfortable and relaxed.

As he made his way closer, I noticed how he was taller and more built than I was. I noticed blood on his green jacket. Gasping, I quickly stepped away from him. He noticed this and stopped moving towards me.

"𝘏𝘦𝘺, 𝘸𝘰𝘢𝘩 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵." He held his hand out towards me as if welcoming me to come with him.

"𝘑𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘥, 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘰𝘧𝘧 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢 𝘴𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘥, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘣𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘰𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘭, 𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘶𝘴." A girl with braids said aloud.

I glanced towards her then back to the boy, Jake, and then to all the other people.

What did they mean, trial? Was this boy hurt? Are they bad people? Where is my sister?

"𝘏𝘦𝘺, 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭𝘪𝘦. 𝘞𝘩𝘺 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘦 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘴𝘰 𝘧𝘢𝘳." Another girl spoke up. 

She had a sweet country accent. Her dirty blonde locks fell over her shoulders, and she had a guitar next to her.

Jake smiled softly towards me and led me over to the fire. I sat next to a boy with glasses.

"𝘚𝘰, 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘮𝘦... 𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘮 𝘐 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘺 𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳...?"