5

At about 12:30 AM, I heard my door open and I just yelled at whoever it was to go away. My brother makes himself known and comes to sit at the edge of my bed and tells me that he's not leaving.

I slowly rise to a sitting position and lean into his arms for a hug. He asks me what happened and between sobs, I explain to him. 

"Lydia kissed Andy, my Andy and the whole time I have to pretend to be the supportive friend for Stacy hiding the fact I'm just as hurt as she is. Lydia was the only person who knew I liked him, I mean I told her in a fourth-grade game of truth or dare but still, she was the only one. Well, now you, but I swear to fucking god Aaron if you say a word to him, Lydia won't be the only one not invited to my Bat Mitzvah."

He just listens and nods until he finally works up the courage to speak, "You know, I know how you can win him over. His grandma, she lives in a retirement home and if you volunteer there, maybe as her helper or something, he'll finally notice you. And for god's sake, it took you long enough to notice Lydia was a bitch, I never liked her. Ever since she pushed your face into the cake at our tenth birthday party I hated her. I wanted that Milk Bar cake, and it was expensive too," Aaron says causing me to laugh.

"Yeah, that was pretty shitty. But I already did a Mitzvah project wouldn't be a little weird for me to just randomly do another? Wait, I can say Dad forced me to do more because what I did wasn't "equivalent" to what you did, working at the homeless shelter and all, only if he asks of course," I say agreeing to his plan.

"And your Stacy problem can all be fixed, just gotta let me swoop in and use my moves, you know what I'm saying? How about a little guess the song karaoke? We used to love playing it when we were in sixth grade," Aaron suggests

I immediately jump up and connect my laptop to my JBL speaker and ask whose going first, he says to me that I can, and we decide we are doing easy to hard. I pulled up YouTube and searched "Toxic Gossip Train Karaoke" and found one that would work. Almost immediately he recognized the song and began singing along. When it was his turn to choose a song he picked, "I'm Just Ken" from the Barbie movie, and both of us ended the game just singing this song over and over again. 

We play for about an hour before Aaron falls asleep in my bed, I'm used to this because we used to have secret sleepovers when we were little, but I never liked to share a bed with him so I would sneak out of the bed, and go to his room and use his. But tonight felt different. it felt nice to be in the same room as him so I fell asleep next to him in my bed.

The next day in Pre-Algebra when the bell rings me and Stacy walk right past an awaiting Lydia, as she begins to follow us and shower us with apologies. We just ignore her until she eventually gets the clue and leaves us alone. We find our place at our lunch table and try our best to ignore the topic for the entirety of lunch. About halfway through lunch my brother comes up to our table and sits next to Stacy.

"Hey," he says, clearly deepening his voice.

"Ew Aaron, stop hitting on my friends," I say in response which gets a "you're one to talk look back at me."

"Anyway, Stacy I was wondering if you wanted to sit next to me during Hebrew School today?" He asks.

"Uhm, sure," She responds with a nervous smile.

"Great! It's a date," He says causing me to let out a soft chuckle.

When he walks away Stacy asks me what that was about and I say, "Maybe you guys are meant to be, I mean I totally ship."

When Stacy's sister and Zaara drop me, Stacy, and Aaron off at Hebrew School, we ditch Aaron and walk with our heads up, hoping for a successful day. It seemed like everyone was laughing and staring at us as we walked through the hallways, so I grabbed Stacy's hand kissed her on the cheek, and whispered "Let's give them a real reason to stare," She laughed in response and whispered back, "Bet."

We're approached by Nikki and Tara telling us to wait up before asking Stacy one of the most embarrassing questions ever. "Are you okay, what happened?" Tara questions, followed by Nikki saying, "Yeah. Everybody keeps asking us if you need a double-x-tampon." 

"I'm fine," she responds.

"Are you sure Stace," Tara asks, "Cause your best friend's dating your crush."

"They're not dating," I interrupt.

"Yeah, it was just one kiss," Stacy finishes.

"Oh, I heard he touched her underboob in PE this afternoon," Tara answers.

"How can there be anything under something that doesn't exist?" I ask causing Stacy to burst out in laughter before turning to see Andy and Lydia walk out of the makeout closet, with Andy's arm around her.

They walk past us followed by Kam, laughing. What could they be laughing about? How can he walk with her and laugh knowing that it should be me? I mean even Stacy would've been a better pick, at least she likes him.  As Lydia walks past us she side-eyes, us causing me to roll my eyes. Kam just added one more member, I guess they should be called Klam now.

"Okay, well when did that start?" Tara asks.

"Her party this weekend," Stacy says ashamed.

"She had the party?" Nikki asks.

"Guess so, didn't bother to invite us," I say.

"No surprise, because they were awfully chummy laughing at my near-death experience at the ledge," Stacy rants.

"You guys went to the ledge with Andy?" Tara asks.

"Oh, it's just the ledge it was last minute," Stacy responds.

Nikki tells Tara they should go and they walk away from us, leaving us to stand alone.  

When we get to class I sit next to my brother and Stacy sits on the other side of him, keeping her promise from earlier.

AUTHORS NOTE: get ready bc spider-nips is abt to be a lot worse...