The Party

The business party is in two days.

It's already the evening now.
Soon I'll be the only one left on this floor. Not to mention Nanami.

" See you at the house " Mina hugs me and leaves. It's already the weekend so she would be staying over at my house so that " ' I can make you pretty enough to make the clients never pull out their stocks when they see you ' " here, I quoted her.

And I'm alone in one, two, three.... It's the last person leaving.

I peek to my left and right to secure my way to Nanami's office. I try to mute my heels clicks.

I stop at the door and to my surprise the office is empty. I'm torn between relief and disappointment. I peek over my shoulder and enter anyway.

I didn't have a chance to observe it the last time. " It's not the best decor you get to see " a voice behind me. He walks up to one of the chairs opposite to his desk and sits. He motions for me to claim the other. I do that.

I beg my heart to stop beating this fast.

I open my mouth to speak but he says " are you here to convince me to attend the party ? ". He crosses his arms and leans back into his seat.

" Yes ", I admit.

" I saw you this morning talking to Zen. I figured he assigned you to do that. "

" It was a favor ", I say defending Zen. "

" He does that every year. Sending people to convince me ", He continues. " I usually turn them down. " . That " Usually " gets my attention and he can possibly mean... " Are you attending this year ? ", I say.

" You want me there ? "

" Yes. " I get up and walk up to the door. I'm not facing him when I say " at the party " my voice grows quieter then I continue,

" I guess ".

Because I don't know what red shade my face is colored. I exhale a heavy breath and leave the building.

-------------------------------------------------------

As my mind just won't admit it, deep inside me knows I'm here because I want to see if Nanami is keeping his word.

I've been gazing at the crowd for almost an hour.

Now that I'm far here pressing my back against the rooftop's railing, I get to have a better picture of the faces in this party. Client are shouting their importance from the expensive way they look.

They stand out in masses. Wealth is written in their forehead.

I realize what Mr. Doregi meant when he was yelling at Nanami's colleague few days ago. Chairless body-length tables are spread along the space, with client-worker chats buzzing everywhere. It makes me sick I have to spin my back to face the city view. I'm greeted by night breezes.

He's not coming, I tell myself.

" having fun ? " a voice from behind me.