(Chapter 5) The death of a flower

As the day ended, Solomon kept questioning the meaning of his existence, the meaning of what it is to be a soldier. Clearly, he didn't have exactly a view of what exactly soldier did, for him a soldier was a protector, a spy and servants. He was raised surrounded by them, but they took care of the young boy as family when he dint even knew that those soldiers are just your lucky slave that got the position of higher payment.

No soldier wanted to be in the concentration camps handling the labrats and prisoners or even in the front lines fighting. In this time, they don't receive basic human rights and resources, so instead they relied on the Valenzuelas for food and decent shelter. Anyone who got accepted by that family was blessed, even the community celebrated when a soldier was accepted into the mansion, as if it was a miracle and the most valuable blessing.

~Flashback 2027~

Back in the concentration camp in a small community on Loiza, Erika was preparing to be registered as a farm worker. She made sure to save enough money for materials required in the fields. She seemed hopeful after the whole ordeal she went with her family.

"Move it women! you have work to do" a soldier said as he pointed at the girls

The women in the camps were usually teenagers and young adults raging from the ages of 14 and 22. Soldiers kidnapped them from their families or even removed them when they discovered their parents were dead. Erika was sent there because after the bomb, her whole family died slowly by the exposure of radiation, the last one to die was Marco as he was shot in the head by a soldier. She was promised by the federal government temporary shelter in exchange for labor in the fields.

"State your name" a soldier looked

"Erika Pérez Díaz" she replied with a serious face, her hatred towards the soldiers just grew the more she saw them.

"Huh, Erika, like the German song. I already like you little lady, in fact" he paused as he took out a personal list "Out if the seven women I sleep with, you'll be the 8th"

Her face fully changed after she heard those words "Wait but, I was supposed to work in the farms sir-" Erika said but she saw a gun pointed at her

"No" a soldier said coldly "you're a comfort woman, or more specifically a human toilet" the soldier stared directly at her "Now go and wait for me" he lowered his gun

As she heard those words she felt as if the world ended for her. A comfort woman? repeating the events the japanese did in Nanking? the soldiers seeme so unhinged about this. When Erika looked at the women, they were emotionless, as if they knew what was destined for them. She never felt so scared as she signed up, she was trapped in this situation that she couldn't escape.

Erika then thought, should she run? should she actually risk it? the guards would instantly detain her but, a risk was a risk

"Excuse me, where's the nearest Bathroom?" she asked

"Down to the right side of the corridor" the soldier replied

She then went there and started observing the nearest place she could run, Erika was smart yet she did lack one thing: strategy

As she saw the coast clear, she pretended to walk to another area of the camp until it was fully empty

(Now!) she said to herself as she started running

She dropped her purse and everything, she just kept running until soldiers heard the footsteps. She was scared but willing to keep running and running until she sees the sea shore. Loiza was flooded with trees and mangle so it was hard to quickly escape, what she dint know was the hidden soldiers in the mangle and in some parts of the shore waiting for a victim. She dint know she herself dug up her own tomb.