Chapter 2 - Jake's POV

Thank you for reading!!! If you like this chapter, make sure you vote before you go to the next one :-) Thanks

2  Trying to Forget

Jake

I landed on my ass in that cemetery, winded and aching and thankful to be alive and whole again. I figured my life would return to normal. I walked down that hill and away from her tears, determined to put the nightmare behind me. Determined to never see her again.

Ever since preschool, Fanny, Emily and I had been a trio. Where you found one of us, you usually found the other two. And for the first time since before I could remember, I was without either of them. Without Fanny because that asshole Ciardha had not seen fit to send her back through the portal from hell. Without Emily because I chose to be.

I was about to begin my walk to the city bus stop and my ride to community college, a.k.a. the most dangerous part of my day. The bus stop was only a block from my house, less than a quarter of a mile. But in that small distance, I would likely come across at least a half-dozen people that intended me harm.

Before the Apocalypse (what I refer to as BA), I never worried that I’d get mugged or taken hostage or killed on the way to that bus stop. Wheaton, Illinois, is at the top of the charts for one of the safest and most boring towns in America.

That was BA. But since Ciardha kicked Brighid’s ass, Wheaton had become overrun with gangs of kids that sold drugs, hustled stolen goods, and liked to harass people just because they could. Most people were dour and grumpy at you, even if they didn’t intend to do you harm. God forbid you accidentally bumped into someone. At the least, you’d get a verbal tirade about what a moron you were and, “Watch where you’re going, you fool!” That’s if you were lucky.

But a careless bump into the wrong person could lead to a punch or two in the gut, or a knifing. I’d had lots of busted lips, bruises and a few broken ribs from my lovely bus ride through hell each day. I learned to keep my eyes averted, never smile, and keep my arms and legs in control at all times.

My mom harassed me to stop riding the bus. But what did she expect me to do? Sit home all day and give up?

I told her we had to keep on like normal. “Don’t give up, and don’t give in,” I’d say. It seemed like the only way to fight against Ciardha’s Dark Energy. Each time I got my face busted up or my ribs bruised, it became a little harder not to give in to the anger and allow it to take me to whatever dark place beckoned. But I kept it at bay. I couldn’t give in. My mom needed me, and I’d be no help to her if I became one of those lawless thugs with black eyes that roamed the streets after dark.

Since we had only one car, I insisted my mom drive it to work.

“I’m not going to let you on the bus, Mom. Driving is dangerous enough.”

She pulled my head down, got on her tiptoes, and kissed my forehead. “You’re such a good kid, Jake. You don’t deserve this.” She gently touched my busted lip.

“None of us deserve any of this,” I’d said.

“Except maybe for her.” My mom had twisted her face into a scowl.

“Maybe,” I’d said.

But I didn’t mean it. As mad as I was at Emily – as much as I wanted to forget I’d ever known her so I could excise that pain in my chest where my heart for her used to be – I couldn’t wish one second of the hell-storm we lived through on anyone. Not even her.