Chapter 32: Impostor

While the city wept for the death of Badriya's impostor, Ayaz made his way back to the palace

While the city wept for the death of Badriya's impostor, Ayaz made his way back to the palace. By the time he arrived, Idris and Minah were already there, along with Saleh and Hamad, another two of the most trusted members of their group. Ayaz gave them all a silent yet proud nod.

The four marched toward the palace gates. Instead of the usual pair, only a single guard stood by. The guard saluted at the sight of Ayaz, his gaze lingering on his companions for a bit before staring back ahead.

Minah giggled the second they stepped inside the palace lobby. "We got in more easily than I thought. Perks of having the prince as your boss, I suppose."

Idris shushed her. "We're lucky the Sultan didn't think of leaving an army while he's away."

Indeed, Ayaz thought. His father may be ruthless, but he was so arrogant it was ridiculous. He'd want to show the might of his power in the streets from time to time, and what better occasion can it be than a city-wide procession?

"This is where we split up," Ayaz said when they turned around to a corner leading to a dead end. "Minah and I will head to the upper floors and look around. We'll meet up again here when we find what we're looking for."

Idris approached the wall and pressed a loose brick on the far left corner with his foot. The wall suddenly rumbled, and then a section of the wall pushed within itself, revealing a dark passage.

"There." Idris took a step back, admiring his handiwork. "I almost thought I forgot where to look. But why this way, Ayaz?" He gave his friend a questioning look. "There are better ways to get underground if I remember things correctly."

"Yes, but this is the only way down that isn't guarded," Ayaz replied. "The rest are the ones that are known by everyone else. You'll have better chances of encountering fewer guards by taking this route."

They soon parted ways-Idris and Saleh to the dungeons, and Ayaz and Minah to the entirety of the palace. Ayaz and Idris shared a meaningful look before they parted, one that the former intended as a plea.

Save her for me.

Shahrayar most likely hid the Jewel somewhere he could only access, which meant either his personal chambers or his study. Perhaps even the throne room, where he liked to ponder on his next plans to further inflict suffering on Zecaj's citizens and the rest of the world. At least, that's what Ayaz thought his father would do.

If the rooms on the first and second floors were a handful, the third had only one: the Sultan's chambers. It made up the whole floor, with a single brass door the only way in and out. So, hypothetically, if Ayaz were to sneak in and the Sultan was inside doing whatnot, he would be in trouble. But not today.

It had been years since Ayaz stepped into this part of the palace. He remembered getting lost there one time when he just started to learn how to walk. The last time he was in there was that fateful night he saw his mother breathe his last.