Chapter Three

"Fuck!" She grumbled, massaging her forehead with frustration. The sight of that motorcycle set off a mix of emotions, leaving her annoyed and on edge, wondering what was about to unfold.

***

Bradley stood at the gate, scanning his surroundings cautiously to avoid being photographed. He made sure to keep the helmet securely on his head. While waiting for a response, Bradley peered inside, trying to find out if anyone was there. He also recalled that he used to have the keys for this place.

"Who is this?" Bradley heard the voice on the intercom and let out a sigh.

"It's me," he responded nervously. "It's Bradley."

They remained silent for a while, and Bradley found it hard to breathe. Those few seconds felt like hours until he saw the gate begin to move. With a swift leap, he mounted his motorcycle and smoothly glided inside, skillfully maneuvering through the surroundings until he found a suitable spot near the entrance to park his bike.

He waited for a couple of minutes, his heart racing, unsure of what to expect and grappling with doubts about whether this was a good idea. Inside the house, Stefani took a deep breath and hastily tidied up the living room, making it presentable before opening the door for him. She took another deep breath as she slowly opened the door, looking down and avoiding eye contact with him.

"Hey!" He waved at her, and for the first time, Stefani stared at him. She stood by the door, rubbing one of her elbows.

"Hi... Huh..." She shook her head, furrowing her brows with her eyes closed. "I'm sorry, but what are you doing here?"

"Well... Can I come in?" he asked.

She finally opened her eyes, nodding and giving him space to enter. Bradley heard the song playing in the background and smiled softly, reminiscing about how much he enjoyed that record. However, Stefani didn't catch sight of the smile.

"That's awkward, but..." He paused to take a breath while walking towards the living room, with Stefani following him. "Look, about last night... I was an idiot. I'm sorry for the way I acted and treated you. It was not nice at all."

"Take a seat," Stefani said, pointing to the couch with one hand while rubbing her forehead with the other. He complied, sitting down and waiting for her to say something, but she remained silent.

"So... I thought it would be nice to say it face to face," Bradley was still starring at her, who was still in silence. The intercom rang again, and Bradley frowned, while Stefani looked at him.

"Sorry! I have to answer this."

"I didn't know you were waiting for someone. I'm sorry," Bradley apologized, attempting to figure out who was at the door. He was ready to get up when Stefani touched his shoulder, shaking her head.

"I am not. I ordered food."

"Oh, ok."

While she answered the intercom, Bradley felt relieved. He had actually thought she was waiting for a guest. Stefani always had her house crowded, and he couldn't help but wonder if she was seeing someone. "Maybe the guy from the party," he thought, but quickly shook his head, dismissing the idea.

"You can leave the package in the entrance. Thank you very much," Stefani said to the delivery man, and Bradley could hear her words. "I'll be right back," she informed him.

As she went outside, Bradley stood up and started walking around the living room, observing the pictures displayed on the furniture. Previously, their pictures used to adorn the living room, but Stefani had replaced them with pictures of her family and friends. However, he noticed that she hadn't moved the picture of herself and his daughter Lea, which caught his attention. He reached out and took hold of the picture, a genuine smile spreading across his face as he gazed at it. However, as soon as Stefani reentered the living room, he swiftly placed it back where it was, concealing any sign of his emotions.