Natsu's Decision

Natsu strode into Fairy Tail at exactly 8 a.m. with Happy napping on his shoulder. It was still fairly sparse in people at this time of day, which Natsu found boring, but he did not have anything better to do in the mornings. At least he got first pick on new missions.

He walked to the mission board and began to skim the pages. A wandering group of bandits sounded interesting. It was a low pay, but it wouldn't take him too long. A day's travel and a day's work.

Mira noticed Natsu reading the board. She hoped he had not found anything too interesting yet.

"Hey, Natsu!" she called.

He looked over at her and smiled wide. "Hey, Mira," he whispered.

"C'mere," she said, beckoning him with her hand. "Why are you whispering?"

"I don't want to wake up Happy. Cats—well, exceeds—they nap a lot, y'know."

"Ah, I see," she matched his voice level. "So me and the Master have a mission that we think only you can do."

Natsu's eyes lit up, "Only me?"

"Only you," Mira laughed internally at what qualities precisely made him most able for the job, "I want to warn you though, it's a year long mission. Here's the request paper."

Mira reached behind her and handed the folded paper to Natsu. He unfolded it roughly and read it for a moment. His expression changed as the words sunk in.

"Oh, wow," he muttered.

"It's different, right?"

"Y-Yeah, it is, but... why is this best suited for me? It's not a very physical job."

"It sure sounds like that at first, doesn't it? Think about it! You have to fight the weather itself! Your fire would be perfect for holding back the mountain snow."

That sounded much more attractive to Natsu. "Oh, I get it! I have to burn away all the snow!"

"Yes, you do," Mira giggled, holding her hand out for the paper. Natsu returned it. "Now, the mission requires another wizard to accompany you."

"It did?"

"Yes," Mira lied.

"Well, then I'll bring Happy," he said, scratching the blue cat between his ears. Happy purred in his sleep.

"I'm sorry, Natsu, but we hand-picked your partner, too."

"If Happy isn't going to be there then—"

"Wait," Mira interrupted, "Happy might be able to come along with your partner, as well."

"Oh," he scratched his chin, "then that's fine. Who's my partner?"

Mira pressed her lips together. It was inevitable that he would ask that. She wanted to delay him learning about his partner for as long as possible. "I still have to ask them, so I'll wait until they give their answer." Natsu looked like he wanted to say something about that, so Mira didn't give him a chance. "Are you going to take the mission?"

Natsu opened his mouth a little, but did not say anything. He closed it with a quiet sigh. "I'm not sure, Mira. A year is a long time."

Mira nodded. She already felt bad for hiding the identity of his partner from him. She couldn't force this mission any more. "I understand, Natsu."

"Just... give me a couple hours to decide."

So he was not completely out! Mira gave Natsu a friendly smile, "Okay, Natsu. Take your time. Tell me once you've made your decision."