5

Three years later

The world is like a magical theatre where fairy tales and realities intertwine.

I have come to believe that saying very much.

I was sitting in front of the mirror, nervously fiddling with jewellery. The red lehenga I wore highlighted my lipstick whereas my round, black eyes were brought out with the eyeliner. The blush on my olive skin thankfully added some life to me, because otherwise I was dead scared.

My mother entered the room. After I told my parents about Naveen, they were more than excited to see the man who had won my heart.

When they saw him for the first time however, they were disappointed since he didn't come up to their expectations. But after spending some time with him, his calm and mature demeanour no doubt earned him brownie points with them.

And now they hang out and talk to each other like best buddies. Which honestly was easier on my part.

I fidgeted with my dress again, which resulted in a slap on the wrist from Mom. "Oh stop Appu. It's going to be fine. You look beautiful, sweetie.

"I don't know, M-Mom. Is this a-all happening a-a bit too fast? I-I feel like I'm r-rushing into this."
"Come on Appu. You and Naveen have discussed this at length and then come to this decision. There is nothing to worry about. There was no rushing involved."

Naveen and I were discussing his day at work when I popped the question. He was surprised a bit at first, but said yes eventually. It was a small ceremony with close friends and family.

I asked him later why he was so surprised.
He replied, grinning sheepishly, "You beat me to it. I was planning to propose today as well."

Back then I was sure of my decision, but today being the one of the most important days of my life, understandably I was pretty nervous.

"Appu...", Mom's gentle voice broke me out of my reverie. "Once you see Naveen, you will forget all your worries. Don't stress out too much about it."
"Y-Yeah, Mom. I'm g-glad that you guys are h-here."
"Of course, sweetie. We wouldn't miss it for the world."
"Yeah, M-Mom. It's j-just the n-nerves are getting to m-me a bit too m-much."

She hugged me. The warmth of it hit me so fast that I went still for a minute, then gradually relaxed into her arms. We stayed like that for a long time, until someone knocked on the door.

"Come on!! It's time to go to the wedding hall!"

—————————————————————————

The hall was bustling with the sounds of the people present.

God, there's so many people.

As soon as I entered, all eyes focused on me. Unknowingly, my hands started shaking along with my body sweating. It felt like all those eyes were judging me, my outfit, my looks, everything.
My legs started wobbling, I found it hard to stand.

Suddenly, I heard a familiar noise.

Bounce. Bounce. Bounce.

I lifted my head to see Naveen-in a maroon suit-bouncing my golden ball up and down. I felt another pair of arms steady me. I looked to see Dad rubbing my shoulders comfortingly.

Emboldened, I turned to face the stage. Naveen gave me a reassuring smile and threw the ball to me.

Breathing slowly, I rolled the ball between my fingers until I reached the wedding stage.

"Hey, you okay?", he leaned in and asked.
"Y-Yeah, I am now. J-Just my n-nerves."
"Hey, we're in this together. I'm not going to leave your side."
I leaned my head on his shoulder. "Thank you. I'll n-never leave y-your side e-either."

"Forever after?"
"Forever after."

I smiled down at my golden ball. It was one heck of a good luck charm.