𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

───── FROM THE MOMENT THAT SHE STEPPED OFF THE TRAIN, everything became a blur

As it turns out, the flock of rainbow-colored Capitolites at the train station had been Delphi and Jason's cosmetic teams. Right off the bat, they had descended upon them like a flock of incensed seagulls, all of them squawking over each other. Some were bold enough to reach forward, twirling strands of Delphi's hair around their fingers, petting and pulling with a sense of entitlement.

Delphi could do nothing but smile and let them.

She and Jason were led into a building that her team called the Remake Center. The lights were so bright that Delphi was surprised to learn that there was a roof in the building at all.

When they pried her and Jason apart, Delphi squeezed his shoulder and gave him a reassuring smile. Partially because she could see the stiff hesitation in his shoulders, and partially because it made their cosmetic teams coo with delight. Squaring her shoulders, she allowed them to lead her to a part of the building sectioned off curtains.

She swallowed, uneasy when she realized they were no thicker than the ones used in the apothecary in the market. They'd offer no real privacy.

As if sensing her resignation, her team decided to remedy her worries of privacy by quickly stripping her with scissors.

"Take a seat," a woman with bright orange, feathered eyelashes and matching hair urged. She took Delphi by the hand and then made her perch, naked, on the edge of a grey padded table surrounded by metal trays and even brighter lights. "My name is Kadmi, this is Minthe and Deros. We're your prep team!"

"Absolutely a pleasure to meet you, darling!" Deros was green—not sick, not with envy. His skin was actually a pale shade of green, like frozen peas. His hands were tipped with nails so long they could have been claws scratching into her skin as he took her hand with excitement, only to pause at the feeling of her rash. "What's this?"

Three pairs of scrutinizing eyes were on her now. Deros dropped her hand as if it were hot, and they all took a step away from her as they finally took in her face and her arms. Completely ignoring her, they began talking amongst themselves in loud whispers.

Kadmi looked at her own hands in horror. "Do you think it's contagious?"

"Oh, just our luck!" Minthe wailed, "If I see Helvius, and I learn he knew a tribute was diseased—"

"Should we contact the Peacekeepers?" Deros wondered.

Delphi could feel her heart racing in her throat, but she swallowed it down. "No, no, a Peacekeeper isn't necessary. I am sick," she explained in a rush, "But it's not contagious, I swear. It's all internal. My body doesn't recognize other parts of itself, so—"

Her cosmetic team deflated.

"Oh," Minthe said, her already thick and indecipherable Capitol accent hard to discern through the piercings on her tongue. "Well, isn't that a relief? Don't worry. With makeup, no one will know there's something wrong with you."