4. Calling me by my name

The walk to the university campus was beautiful in the misty morning light. 

I smiled a little as fellow students walked past me and nodded, especially when I noticed it was not because I was the crown prince, as they did so to everyone they met.

Tobirama was basically cosplaying as a chemistry student, walking behind me in his civil clothes and a laptop in his bag. Today, he wore army-green baggy trousers and a black-and-red-striped long-sleeved T-shirt, over which he had an oversized black T-shirt. He even had a thin, black velvet collar. I had once more stared at him open-mouthed when he opened the door. 

"You look fantastic, Your Highness", he had said, sounding as if he really meant it, but I honestly felt very nerdy in my skinny black jeans, big white T-shirt and glasses. Then, I had realised how out of character it was for a body guard to tell their client they looked fantastic, and I had blushed. 

When we sat down in the lecture theatre, people greeted us happily, presenting themselves as if I was not royal, and I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I even managed to chat for a bit, and when I turned around, I saw that Tobirama, who sat down behind me, was chatting happily to a group of boys himself.

Something struck my heart then, and I gasped as I realised it was jealousy. Of course I was relieved he blended in so well, but at the same time, seeing him pay attention to other men hurt. 

At the same time, it was clear to me he was hyper-alert to any danger that could threaten my safety. I had seen him eye each emergency exit, and his eyes kept darting this way and that even as he talked to others. I was suddenly incredibly grateful for this man; he surrendered so much of his own life so that I could live mine. I had never thought of it that way before, but nobody could speak against the fact that that was the way things were. 

We had an hour-long introduction, and then three lectures before lunch. During the fifteen minutes between classes, me and Tobirama had stood up and walked out to the beautiful lawns with the other students, chatting happily. I looked over at Tobirama, and he caught my eye and smirked a little. I walked over to him.

"How do you enjoy the life of a fake chemistry student?" I asked.

"Actually, I'm not a fake chemistry student", he said.

"What do you mean?" I asked, frowning. 

He shrugged.  

"I have had military training. I thought it was time to get an education. I signed up for the chemistry course. As well as the extra social classes you're taking. Might as well graduate with the crown prince."

I wasn't quite certain, but I thought this last sentence was said in a teasing  way. 

But for the entirety of the rest of the first week, I was in awe of this man, and what he was ready to sacrifice just for me.

The first few weeks passed. The trees started burning, and I made new friends, and we went to each other's rooms in the evenings to study. Tobirama always joined as well, which he had to, seeing he was my body guard, but as opposed to me, who joined these evenings because I felt it was good for me while I would rather just stay in my room, Tobirama seemed to genuinely enjoy it.

I still liked the group, though. We went for coffees. We went for dinners. We went to the library together. Had lunch together. I had done something I had thought would be impossible, and that was to find a group of people who liked me for who I was, and not because of my title. I tried to accommodate for Tobirama and his needs as well so that he wouldn't feel his life was only about me. For example, I had once gone running in the forest with my friends, and Tobirama had had to follow me. I had hated it, and vowed never to do it again, but seeing the genuine smile on Tobirama's hot and sweaty fucking face had made me keep going two times a week, just for his sake.