Thursday Morning

"BZZZT"

"BZZZT"

"BZZZT"

Duncan was pulled from his REM cycle by the unwelcome song of his alarm. Without opening his eyes or moving anything but his arm, he shut the damn thing to "snooze" in one smooth motion. This being the better alternative than tossing it at his bedroom wall; three times is more than enough for that sort of thing to happen...With peace and quiet restored, he was ready to resume sleeping; if it weren't for his dad marching into the room to wake Duncan up himself.

Every morning at 7:00 am like clockwork Tony Nelson would enter his son's bedroom to get him out of bed, knowing full well he couldn't trust an inanimate object to get the job done. He wasn't particularly proud that he had to do this, but it became routine for him since Duncan started junior high and unlike most people, Tony's patience was at its highest first thing in the morning. He looked down on his son's sleeping form.

"How does he sleep with all that metal in his face?" He thought to himself. He then gingerly tousled Duncan's shoulder in an attempt to get him moving.

"Hey bud it's time to get up, move it." All Tony got in response was a barely legible "noooooo;" thankfully while half asleep Duncan still had the self-control not to say "fuck off." They did the same song-and-dance daily; Duncan would punch his alarm clock, Tony strolls in to nicely wake him up, and when that fails, he just went about his own morning routine until there's only ~15 minutes until they had to get going and he once again went to wake up Duncan. Only this time he would just rip the sheets off of his son's body and gives him a flick on the ear for good measure. Duncan may loathe this approach, but it's worked since 7th grade so Tony gladly continued it if it meant getting his son's ass out of bed.

Duncan felt the sudden chill over his body and not long after came the thwack and slight sting on his left ear. Oh great, it must be morning.

"What the Hell?!" He exclaimed as if on cue, sitting up and grabbing his ear. He tried to focus his eyes to concentrate frustration on his dad, but because he was still half asleep and not wearing his glasses or contacts all he could make out was Tony's fuzzy silhouette in his bedroom doorway.

"I warned ya pal." Tony had his arms crossed, sunlight reflecting on his badge that contrasted with his suit. Duncan couldn't see his face very clearly, but he swore he was looking smug. "Now get dressed. I'll see you downstairs; and I swear to God don't go back to sleep!" He turned to exit and disappeared from view. Duncan considered doing exactly that just to spite him, one of his favourite hobbies (spiting his dad, not sleeping; but he does enjoy that too). This idea was tossed as Duncan realized he was completely awake by now so he'd really just be laying in bed, plus he wasn't in the mood to deal with his dad "spazzing out" that morning, so getting dressed it was.

Duncan descended the stairs in his classic punk look; a pair of dark-wash jeans, his favourite skull shirt overtop a longsleeve, some red Converse, and a spiked collar. Additionally, he wore the various facial and ear piercings he'd gotten over the years, Tony foolishly thought it had only been a phase and kept hoping every morning he'd see Duncan emerging from the stairway with his head devoid of metal studs (delusional yes, but the man can dream). He made his way to the kitchen island where Tony was finishing off his coffee. The teen's fashion sense was in stark contrast to his father's more orthodox ensemble. Tony was the chief of the city's police service, so naturally, he had to dress professionally on days when he wasn't wearing his uniform for ceremonial purposes. This was with the exception of his ID and badge, and his issued gun (which Duncan has begged him to let shoot off a few rounds since he could speak).

"Look who finally made it down" Tony exclaimed dryly. "I thought I'd have to get out my taser again, I'm almost disappointed." A sly smirk formed on his face as he took another sip of coffee, his unamused son just sneered in response.