Chapter 1: THEN

The echo of my tears reverberated the room as they silently fell as I once again watched the blue light from my laptop glare at me.

I was once again rejected.

That was never the problem. Rejection is life. Life is rejection. But they all got accepted all of my friends. But I was the once with the best grade and leadership positions, me, not them.

I couldn't even get a stupid interview.

"Tip, tap." My chair squeaked as I turned to the creak of my bedroom door and watched as my mother turned the door nob and entered. The tear vanished, and a smile took over. This was life. Get over it.

Her questions played out as if I was watching a movie. Her vibrant energy allowed an easy smile to play on my lips.

Croaking, as blood rushed to my heating my ears, I comforted her, allowing her to know that it was fine. I'd try again and see where it takes me.

Because this was life.

~~~

I forced a smile as I pestered the idiots who were my whole world and their interview preparations, forcing the jealousy that seeped through the numerous layers I built to hide my pain to stay down

Their excitement and commitment made it easy to forget to be happy for them.

~~~

"Tap, Tap." I once again started the process of registering, hoping for a better outcome. I didn't even care about getting in. I just wanted a chance.

Just one chance. To prove I could do it.
I am worth it.