Chapter 2

Around 400 years ago 

Lightning split the sky apart over Inazuma city, making every building and street visible for a brief moment before all would go dark again. It had not yet reached nightfall, but thickness and gloom from the ominous clouds choked any light left on the day, already making it seem as dark as night. Of course, this was no strange thing to the people of Inazuma. But like all other humans living in Teyvat, they weren't immune to the dangers of a storm and had sought shelter inside the safety of their homes, leaving the usual bustling streets deserted.  

Save for the guards guarding the way into Tenshukaku, only one person was seen treading the empty streets of the city, holding a drawn katana in his right hand. His hands were trembling, and he was on the verge of tears at what he was about to do, but he had tried reasoning, begging to be granted an audience with the Raiden Shogun,  his mother, but refused every time. 

Time was running out, and if he didn't do this, Inazuma would pay a far bigger price than the one he was about to pay.  He set his emotions aside and started quickening his pace with each step as he neared the home he was created in. Each step was quicker than the previous until he was charging straight up the steps into the castle. 

"Halt! We will draw our weapons if you don't...."

Lightning lit the sky to fully reveal Kabukimono striking down the first guard and following through by driving the blade into the second guard trying to reprimand him. He immediately drew the attention of the guards nearby further up the steps. 

"What the-- It's that kid again." 

"Kill him."

"What?" 

"The is our mighty Shogun's divine dwelling. He cannot be allowed to enter. End him! He's received plenty of warnings." 

The guards at the gate all drew their weapons and charged to meet the Kabukimono half way.  

Even though the Kabukimono was still new to this world, he was no stranger to using a sword and had long grown close and accustomed to the sword in his hand. It was the very one he had forged with his master and caretaker Niwa Hisahide. 

Perhaps even more than Inazuma, he was here to save them, their family and livelihoods. He just wanted to save them all even at the cost of his own life. 

The guard leading the attack raised his polearm to strike and thrust it down right where the Kabukimono should have been. 

The Kabukimono dodged the attack and threw his weight into the guard's side to thrust him down the stairs.  He immediately pivoted his weight around and caught his next opponent's polearm against his blade. The guard's eyes widened in surprise at the Kabukimono's resilience to absorb the recoil and hold his weight in place without wavering despite his small stature.