Chapter 1

The excitement on Treasure Street was finally settling down for the evening as the day was coming to its conclusion. The scent of roasted food and spices still lingered in the air while the glowing embers from the stoves they were being roasted were slowly being allowed to fizzle out. There was still some idle chatter from those lingering near the food stalls and vendors trying to lure in potential customers before they would have to close down the stalls for the night.

"I've got great food and great drinks everyone can enjoy! "

"Welcome! Get your spices here. We got all kinds!"

"Every item I sell here comes with a fascinating story. "

Among the idle night chatter, if one was listening intensively, they could hear the light tapping of a cane hitting the pavement as a certain individual was making their way through treasure street. Some turned to gaze at the foreigner but would immediately turn their back the stranger or whisper to each other and cautiously observe the foreigner from a distance.

The foreigner paid no heed to them. For she only had one last objective for the night and came to a stop at a certain food stall. She observed the food with tired eyes and was quick to make a decision.

"I'll take...one shawarma wrap please. Hmm... Do you have anything else you can recommend? I've hardly eaten today."

The vendor's expression at once went hard, and he crossed his arms disapprovingly. "I'm afraid we just sold out."

He sneered at the girl who stood barely 5'4 with two thick red braids resting over her the shoulders of her gray-blue buttoned trench coat. She wore narrow-framed glasses over her peculiar, yet firery red eyes, but the gaze held in them now went as cold as ice. She clasped her hand at her petticoat while her other hand fidgeted with the ornate cane she walked with. The cane alone revealed she came from a family of wealth and that she could certainly afford a meal.

She closed her eyes as she exhaled in angst. "Please, sir. I can pay -"

"Did you not understand the first time? We're sold out."

She pursed her lips, clutching at her skirt even tighter. "I'm a student of the Akademiya. You're assuming I'm of the Futui just because I'm from Snezhnaya. "

Just the sight of the Futui was enough to put people on edge, but now the people of Sumeru held a particular grudge. While The Grand Sage and a few others who were directly responsible for imprisoning the Dendro Archon have long been apprehended, it wasn't unknown that certain members of the Futui also played a role in the Dendro Archon's immense suffering and ensuring her imprisonment. The Futui had long cleared out of Sumeru, but it wasn't too long after this that the young woman had shown up. Her style of dress and the way she carried herself showed she came from a high-ranking family in Snezhnaya, but nothing else seemed to link her to the Futui.

Yet, she was thought of as more of a spy trying to infiltrate the Akademiya again.

"Futui or not, I have the right to refuse service. Get out of here. "

She banged her cane on the pavement. "I'll pay double the price then! Please, I'm-"

"Help! Guards! " The vendor quickly called out to two Corps of thirty mercenaries patrolling alongside the road.

She immediately backed away from the stall. "All right, fine. " She turned to leave but was already being blocked by the two guards.

"What's all the commotion? "

"She's threatening me with that cane and demanding I give my food for free!" He raised his voice for all to hear.

The guards crowded in closer to her, trying to make her cower. "As expected of an entitled child of the Futui. "