15.

Sorry for the delay. I felt so uninspired lately. Hope you enjoy this chapter.

〰️

'Cause I was filled with poison
But blessed with beauty and rage
—Lana Del Rey/Ultraviolence

Do you believe in karma?

Do you believe the phrase saying what goes around comes back around?

I admit I made a lot of mistakes in the past. And when I said a lot, it's tons.

So, the moment it appears in front of me to bite me in the ass, I can only blame myself.

My karma arrives in the form of Jess Smith. The daughter of Mr. Smith which happens to be three years older than me.

Out of all places, we cross path here in Paris. At a restaurant where I and Dave are having a brunch. Three hours prior to our flight to Turin.

If it's not karma, I don't know what is.

"It's you." Someone stops at our table. Eyes and face that I recognize are looking at me with disgust. "The home wrecker." She spits the words spitefully like it means to hurt me.

The label doesn't faze me.

Dave drags his attention to the rude stranger before glance at me with a questioning look. I am too surprised to respond.

"Do we know you?" he asks, slightly curious, mostly irritated.

Jess Smith averts her eyes to Dave as though she just realizes that I am not alone. She gives him a once-over, smiling sweetly. "Are you dating this slut?"

I don't even wince at the choice of word. She has every reason to be angry and bitter.

"Careful, young lady." Dave narrows his eyes, absolutely offended.

Jess ignores him, shifting her attention back to me. "Did you receive the news about my father's death?"

I blink. "I... yes."

Her lips form a cruel smirk. "Then, I want you to empty out the condo. It's not yours to begin with anyway."

What?

"It's under my name." I stare at her confused.

She snorts, looking at me with disgust.

"Our family lawyer sorted it out. It wasn't legally yours." She replies. I don't know what she's talking about. The condo isn't mine? But Mr. Smith arranged the papers for me three years ago. He legally gave me the condo.

"I plan to personally e-mail your eviction letter by the end of the week. Funny, how we accidentally bump into each other." Her smile is wicked while I still digest it all.

I am silent. I honestly don't know what to say.

Is she bluffing or am I actually gonna be homeless?

I almost forget about Dave when suddenly Jess turns to him.

"Good luck with her, Sir. You better run before it's too late." She looks at him in pity.

Then, she walks out.

Out of sight.

As if she's sent just for me.