xi. i can see you

LAENYRA stood on the main deck as the boat was brought into the harbor.

With her wrists twisted and her fingers curled around each other behind her back, Laenyra swiftly made it off the ship.

Though the journey was beautiful, it was hard to enjoy when the constant shifting made her stomach uneasy and her legs wish for solid ground.

Before they could even take a step away from the dock, a woman dressed in black with red jewelry greeted them with open arms.

She opened her arms and smiled for Rhaenyra, greeting her like a sister she had longed to see again, Laenyra noted that they never acted like an aunt and her niece.

When Verena saw Daemon, she passed him with a look through the side of her eyes. It was a cold and dry smile.

When she saw Jace holding one of the twins against his hip, she ran up to take the child in her arms.

Verena held the child and hugged Jace and then Luke. She then passed the child onto Rhaenyra and came up to Laenyra.

"Oh, my own heart." Verena acted as though Laenyra was her own daughter while Vaelon watched his mother love on a family that never bothered with her.

Verena held Laenyra's hand as they made their way to the carriage.

"The Queen wishes she could make it. Sadly preparing for this ridiculous visit has taken her time." Verena rolled her eyes.

"I'm sure she's disappointed." Laenyra said, noticing the harsh glance her mother gave her. Laenyra didn't care, Verena was on their side, she was like a second mother to the girl.

- - -

Vaelon spent the afternoon following Laenyra around as she made her way quickly through the castle. He himself had no interest in staying very long. He was here to support Rhaenyra and her children, nothing more.

They turned a corner and found Verena waving her arms in the air, octave below yelling at Daemon.

"She doesn't need your..." Verena's voice faltered when she saw Daemon look towards the side. Seeing the younger couple, she stopped and composed herself. "Children." Verena said, as if she was holding back her anger, containing it in her balled up fists.

"Vaelon, I need to speak with you." Daemon placed his hand on his son's shoulder and led him back down the hall. Vaelon looked over his shoulder and watched Verena cup Laenyra's face before following after them.

Thoroughly confused, Laenyra left that small portion of the family to figure out their differences as she went to the training yard.

She found Jace and Luke standing together away from everyone.

"Laeny." Jace greeted his sister as she strolled in, ignoring the glares from everyone, unlike their brother.

"Jace."

"What's your problem?" They both looked over at Luke, whose head was spinning from all the people who watched him and his siblings.

"Everyone's staring at us." Luke explained his worries.

"Hyah." Jace swung a sword at him, trying to get his brother to loosen up.

"No one would question me being heir to Driftmark... if... if I looked more like Ser Laenor Velaryon than Ser Harwin Strong." Luke saw the way Laenyra rolled her eyes, and Jace caught onto it as well.

"It doesn't matter what they think." Jace said.

"Jace should know. People spent years mocking his big nose. Now he's grown into it." Laneyra shrugged. She heard the sound of a crowd forming and began heading towards it, attempting to get a good view.

"They what?" Jace turned, but his sister was gone. He follwoed her towards the crowd where he saw Ser Criston, armed with his morningstar, as he fought a blonde with a simple shield and sword.

Laenyra's breath caught when she shield broke and the blonde discarded it from his arm. He swung his sword and perfectly avoided the morningstar. When he turned, Laenyra saw his violet eye, while the other was hidden behind a dark patch.

She didn't need to get a better look, no one else in the kingdom suffered such a fate, one that no one had forgotten. She noticed Jace and Luke looking at one another.

After a moment to catch his breath, Ser Criston returned to the fight. A fight that did not last so long after Aemond had his sword at Criston's throat in seconds.

The crowd congratulated the prince with a round of applause, including his teacher. "Well done, my Prince. You'll be winning tourneys in no time."

"I don't give a shit about tourneys." Aemond said without a moment to let the compliment go to his head. "Nephews... have you come to train?"

Laenyra looked back at her brothers. He must have seen them in the crowd during the fight. How he did it stumped her, considering it had been so long and unlike him, they didn't have remarkably pale features and lavender eyes to match.

"Open the gate!" A guard yelled.

Laenyra caught the smirk on Aemond's face when Lord Vaemond entered the yard, followed by a large group of guards.

Laenyra made her way back inside, on her way, she found a woman with long, golden hair. The woman held herself in a way that only displayed her confidence and beauty. Laenyra only knew one person so comfortable with the admiration.

"Elsha." Laenyra smiled, walking over to the lady in red.

"Laeny?" Elsha mouth grew wide, a smile big enough you could see all the joy she brought to the room. "My goodness. I was wondering when I would see you. My father told me all about this trial." She rolled her eyes as if the matter was nonsense to her.

"I don't think anyone is too excited about this meeting." Laenyra said, taking Elsha's arm and walking side by side with her.

"Hmm." Elsha closed her eyes. "Your hair is gorgeous." She told her friend. "You've grown so much."

"Not nearly as much as you. Men will fall to your feet." Laenyra said, dropping her head for a moment before watching their path.

"Speaking of which." Elsha smirked when a certain blonde was beginning their way.

He had already left the yard behind, escaping the crowd that was applauding him on his victory over his teacher.

"Laenyra, dear niece." Aemond saw the two across the hall. His bone-white hair went perfectly with his cold stare.

"Prince Aemond." She could return the coldness he gave her.

This was the bastard he hated. The girl who ruined everything. He expected her to hide her face, move her hands behind her back but something had changed. She folded her hands in front of herself and watched him up and down, she didn't just look different.

"Run along, Aemond." Elsha waved him away, tnagling her arm in Laenyra's, waiting for him to get out of their path.

"Hmm." Aemond hummed as he began back down the hall.

Elsha was smirking as she watched him leaving. "I could watch that backside all day." She said with a sly smile.

Laenyra's nose scrunched, lips turned down. "Handsome maybe, but no less ignorant." She said.

"But it looks good on him." Elsha said with an unfamiliar look in her eyes, as if Aemond was still in front of them, even as they were walking in the opposite direction.

"Elsha Lannister." Laenyra said with wide eyes, dropping her friends hand as she felt a small chuckle build in her.

"My father's idea, really." Elsha shrugged.

Laenyra felt bad for both of them. She always knew Elsha had every intention to return to Casterly Rock and marry a nice lord. And Aemond seemed uninterested in Elsha's previous attempt. It made her wonder how many times Elsha tried to catch the Prince's eye.