Countdown

Twenty minutes, twenty minutes until the countdown on my wrist will be at zero. Twenty minutes until I will meet a stranger who will hit zero at the same time as they meet me. My soulmate. Everyone has a countdown in their wrist, ticking down until the moment they first meet the person they are designed to be with, and right now I am destined to meet them in twenty minutes.

Someone jabs me in the arm and I look up to meet they eyes of my friend PJ. "Don't worry Dan, you'll be just fine, if I were you I would excited." I nod at him but can't shake the nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. For the rest of the class I sit anxiously. When the bell rings dismissing us to lunch, I stand up a little too quickly and make my way to the cafeteria.

I wipe my sweaty palms on my jeans. PJ comes up from behind me. "I can't miss this." He says and starts following me. Two minutes. We enter the cafeteria and I start to scan the room looking for anyone out of the ordinary, no luck. 30 seconds. I look at PJ who smiles as me reassuringly. 10 seconds and PJ is shoving me to the middle of the cafeteria. 3... 2, 1. I stare at my wrist that says 0:00, but I don't understand, I was- Before I can finish someone bumps into me from behind, casting me to fall forests catching myself with my hands.

"Oh my gosh I so sorry!" Rings out a voice. The person stretched out their hand and I accept it. Then I freeze because we both have matching wrists to signal 0:00. The person must notice it too because I am pulled up and met with the piercing blue eyes of a dark haired boy. "Hi," He smiles and look down at both of our wrists again. "I'm Phil."