chapter 3

Y/N POV:

I was behind my desk, sketching designs for a beautiful dress I'd thought of in boredom, as someone knocked at the door of my business. I was confused since we were not opening for another hour. The only people there were me and my coworker Amy who was a part time working mother. (I had given her a job even though I didn't actually need help. She was nice and I was making enough money to pay her, so I decided to help out to keep their family afloat.)
I assumed the knocking came from Angela, who's wedding dress was currently in the making by me. I had told her she could come around for the try on in about a week,but she'd been bothering me non-stop. I opened the door and quickly blurted out: „Friday hun. I told you the dress will be done by friday!"
But when I looked up, I did not find Angela Miller on my doorstep. It was Peggy Carter, a confused „what?", escaping her beautiful lips. I stood there in shock for a second. When I managed to recover I went „Ms.Carter, what are you doing here?" She swallowed hard. „Are we really pretending to not know what happened?", Peggy said, annoyed.
I nodded hard in the direction of my coworker to make her understand that we were absolutely not free to talk right now. „Of course not.Sorry Peggy, it's just been so long since I've seen you. Why are you here exactly? Do you want to pick up that skirt you gave me to fix ?"
„Hm?", she gave a confused sound before finally realizing we were not alone."Oh yes, sorry. Yeah I'd love to have it back", she played along. „Sorry to disappoint, but I have it at home. I honestly wasn't even sure you'd still pick it up.", I took a short break to catch my breath. „How about you come by my house after I get off of work and I'll give it back to you?", I asked.
„That would be amazing.", Peggy said.
„Okay", I said, writing quickly on a piece of paper, „here is my new address. I'll see you at.. let's say 7. Alright?"
She could only nod before I shut the door in her face. That was a heck of a close one. I didn't know what she might've said, hadn't I made her notice Amy.
"Who was that?", she asked. I panicked a little more, because she'd listend.
"An old friend", I said calmly.
She nodded. "Why'd you call her by her last name? You guys had a falling out?" ,she asked, genuine interest in her voice.
"Yes, a while ago", I answered with no hesitation, since it wasn't really a lie.
"Over a guy? Seems there's some awkwardness."
I took a short breath then sighed and said: "Yeah, it was kind of stupid"
Now that was a lie. She bought it though.
"I'll be right back, alright Amy? Gonna go to the restroom quickly", I said, rushing to the back of the shop. As soon as I closed the door behind me, I sank to the floor. That was one of the closest calls in years. I loved this town and my shop. I couldn't loose it all because Peggy made a silly mistake. Why was she even here anyway? I had made a deal and thought it worked. I needed to lie perfectly. Act normal. After whiping a tear from my face, I stood up, looked at myself in the mirror and whispererd "get it together". Then I flushed the toilet, washed my hands and walked right back to the front.

*Hours later, 5:45 pm*

I closed up the shop 5 Minutes after the last costumer walked out. I stared down at my notes of projects and clients, organizing them by when they had to be done and how much work they were. I probably bumped into 4 people on the way to the subway station. I spent 15 disgusting minutes in the subway and then walked home to take a hot shower. I arrived at 6:15, showered, dried my hair of with a towel, changed into something comfortable, yet socially acceptable. I cleaned up around the house, fluffed the couch pillows and finally sat down to relax.I then read a couple of pages in the new agatha christie novel "The hollow". About 10 minutes later, there was a knock on the door. Peggy stood in front of me, still in the same clothes I'd seen her in before.
She held up her notebook, with a question written in black ink: „Are we alone here?"
I internially smiled a little because she was being careful now. It felt nice to know that she was trying to keep my secret.
But she was still not supposed to be here.In my town, at my house. „Yes." I said, opening the door wider, „but we had a deal Peggy."
„No, you had a deal. l wasn't asked. I need to talk to you about this", she said.
„Are you gonna ask me why? Or if it's fucking contagious?", I snapped, „Cause the answers are: I hoped for a different reaction and no. So you can leave now.", I tried shutting the door in her face, but she put her foot in the doorway and stopped me.