I guess sometimes you find the onebut the timing's off //5

Over the course of the next few days, Kiva spent her time with Tipp inside their room or when he was with Oriel- which was becoming more frequent as the days went on, she spent some time with Caldon. They didn't talk about much and did not speak about Kiva's time in the prison. Not when it was still so fresh. Kiva hadn't spoken to Jaren since they had arrived at the river palace. She had decided not to press on it, she had barely seen him and clearly she didn't have the authority to demand to talk to him. Even if Kiva did, what would she talk about? He was a prince and she was someone with a half-bothered claim to the throne- that would only be true if she believed it herself. She didn't plan on claiming the throne for herself.

"Kiva!" Tipp's cheerful voice called out to her as he skipped into the room. He smiled brightly, his smile had become even more so since he left Zalindov. It was as he had found a beacon of hope and Kiva was sure it was because he could now see the possibility of a future.

"Hi Tipp," Kiva said to him, as she sat up to properly look at him. She had spent most of the day inside, choosing to not face the world and it had resulted in her lying around in bed for a sleepy afternoon.

"O-Oriel and I a-are going into town. C-Come with u-us." He looked at Kiva with what she could only describe as the most persuasive eyes ever, causing her to look out the window to see the sun beginning a slow descent.

"Will we be quick?" She asked, hoping to be back before nightfall. After the nightmare of Zalindov, Kiva knew better than to explore somewhere new at nighttime without a proper guide, this was the real world after all.

Tipp nodded in response and soon the two, plus Oriel were on their way out of the palace. Nobody tried to stop them even if a little part in Kiva was shocked that not even Caldon or Naari had tried to. It seemed that nobody was aware that they were leaving. At the bare minimum Oriel should have had a guard with him, Kiva thought as he was a prince. But no, nobody stopped or joined them. That was until, Oriel had told them both that Jaren would be joining them after a quick meeting.

Kiva didn't outwardly react to that but on the inside, she couldn't deny that she wasn't a little nervous. Still, she kept walking with the two young boys as they travelled deeper into the heart of Vallenia. The streets were lined with colourful lights and garlands, in preparation for the festival. Shop Owners were waving at people as they walked past their respective shops, trying to gather in more customers. It was a cheerful buzz but it sure was really busy. Kiva liked it.

"We'll go get a pastry before we meet him." Oriel said surely, taking the Kiva and Tipp to a back street, near the town centre. It was a little sketchier than what Kiva would have liked, the street wasn't as lit as the others were and it was significantly longer, though she didn't say anything as they safely arrived at a bakery. Oriel ordered something for them, paid and soon they were in a small seating area, nibbling at their food.

Tipp and Oriel sat next to each other while Kiva sat opposite them. The two boys were chatting away quietly, often giggling amongst themselves while Kiva sat silent. She focused on her pastry, it was sweet and dusted with a soft sugar while the inside was warm and gooey. It was delightful. As she finished up, footsteps crept up behind her before moving a chair to sit next to her. Jaren.

Kiva didn't look at him. Jaren didn't look at her. Oriel and Tipp didn't notice that little detail or the heavy silence that sat with the pair. It was suffocating between the two, but Jaren and Kiva didn't speak as they both mutually waited for the boys to finish their food.

-

As Tipp wiped his hands together, finishing his last bite, Jaren spoke. "Ori, where are we off to now?" Oriel pointed in a direction, which was obviously new and unrecognised by Kiva.

"We'll go to the centre. There's a lovely square there and I'd like to visit my favourite shop." He said at the same time as his gesture.

Tipp jumped excitedly, he was finally exploring a new city and by the looks of it, it was even more fun with his new friend. Oriel smiled at him, then began leading the group back to the centre, revisiting the same path they took to get to the bakery.

Halfway through the darker path, Jaren spoke up.

"Why would you take them this way? Ori, you know that this path isn't as safe as the main street." His voice was annoyed to say the least, he wasn't angry at Oriel but it was clear he was disappointed. Kiva stared at him as he frantically looked around the near vicinity, his eyes darting from shadow to shadow.

"Kiva, get in front of me. I'll bring up the rear." He said surely, his voice steady. Kiva was standing behind Jaren, though she did walk forward past him. She didn't say anything, she didn't do anything else. She was grateful that Jaren was there to help them even if it wasn't a dire situation but she wasn't going to push it.

He hurried the group along without another word, urging them forward and onto a busier street.

He looked at Oriel, concern filling his eyes. "Why Ori? You know that some streets aren't as safe as others. You should have had a guard or someone to protect you."

Oriel met his eyes while Kiva and Tipp awkwardly stood next to each other, observing the two. Oriel took a visible breath, remorse washing over his face.

"I thought we would be fine. And we were." He quietly said. Jaren bent down to his younger brother's level.

"But something could have happened. You never know who will jump on you." Jaren calmly explained.

"Who would try to attack us? Everyone can see Tipp and Kiva's scars. They're prisoners." He said. Kiva could feel Tipp move at that statement so she reached out to squeeze his hand. There was no doubt that the words hurt from Tipp's new friend.

"Oriel. That was too far. They're not prisoners. You know that they are both innocent and never committed any sort of crime." Jaren emphasised the word 'both' and after a moment, he promptly looked at Kiva. She turned her gaze away.

Oriel looked away from Jaren too, walking over to Tipp who was very quiet.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. I just meant-" Oriel was cut off by Tipp.

"It's o-okay. R-Really." Kiva couldn't tell if Tipp was being truthful, but she knew how much Tipp had wanted a friend his own age so badly while he was in Zalindov. And Oriel was his first ever friend who wasn't from the prison. Someone new. Maybe this would only be a small hiccup, because Oriel truly did look remorseful.

At Jaren's urging, the group moved somewhere busier and much safer- the town square to enjoy the rest of evening, while Kiva tried to relax a bit more. She couldn't deny that Jaren defending her and calling her innocent didn't affect her. It made her heart flutter inside but she couldn't get her hopes up.

He was still a Vallentis and she was still a Corentine.