Chapter 4

I looked at the barn for a second, then I ran down the stairs to the first parent I saw. Out of breath, I forced out "Dad... There's... A....dollhouse...outside....it's... on fire.... look..." I grabbed his arm, and pulled him to the back door where I saw the dollhouse/barn. "Look" I said I as I slid open the door. I was looking at his face as he looked out into the yard. He looked at the yard confused, then looked at me. He looked me in the eye with an almost sympathetic look. I finally turned my head to the yard, to see it untouched, and definitely without a burning child's toy. My eyes widened, and I felt a lump form in my throat. "WHAT??? IT WAS HERE I SWEAR!!!" I said loudly, my voice coming out a lot higher pitched than I imagined it would. "I'm sure it was honey." My dad, said rubbing my shoulders. I jerked my body away from his touch. "No. I'm not crazy. It was here. I. Saw. It." I said, my voice returning to it's proper pitch. His eyes were calm and his smile was loving. "I never said you were crazy, Michaela. I do, however think you are under quite a bit of stress with this whole move thing, and having to go to a new school without all of your friends. You need to relax, sweetheart. You want me to make you some hot cocoa? It used to calm you down when you were little, remember?" I just nodded. My head was spinning a little. Maybe he was right. I have been under quite a bit of stress lately, and... no. It was definitely there. I decided to keep my mouth shut, and just let my dad think I'm just a stressed out teenager until I have solid proof of... what? What exactly am I looking for proof for? I squeezed my eyes shut and sighed. Soon my dad was back with the hot chocolate. He smiled, and handed me my mug. "Thanks. Is it alright if I take this upstairs?" I asked, slowly stepping in the direction of the staircase. He looked me in the eye for a little while, then said "Go. Don't tell your mother though, and don't forget to bring the cup back downstairs." He winked at me. I smiled. "Thank you. I will." I ran up the stairs as quickly as I could while still managing to not spill the hot chocolate. I made it to my room, and set the cup on my nightstand. I opened the top drawer of my dresser, and removed the false bottom I put in three years ago, to reveal the journal I decided to keep and write all the weird things that happen in. I sipped from the cup, then started writing every single detail I could remember from the short memory. I finished writing in the journal, put it back into the drawer with the false bottom, then finished the hot cocoa. It was almost midnight when I finished everything, so I decided to put off my homework and go to sleep.

I woke up to my stupid alarm blaring at me. I groaned as hit it so that it would shut up. I rubbed my eyes to get the sleep out of them. I went to my bathroom, and looked at myself. I looked like a complete wreck. Half of my hair was wavy, and the other half was straight. I just brushed it into a ponytail, because I really didn't feel like dealing with it today. My bangs fell out, since they were too short, so I just pushed them to the side of my face where they belonged. I grabbed my All Time Low sweatshirt and threw it on. It technically was still 'warm' outside, but being from Florida, it seemed pretty freaking cold to me. I put on black skinny jeans, and then went to make my face presentable. I put on a black smokey eye for eye shadow, and clear lipgloss. The jewelry was simple, just black feather earrings and a black and silver ring with X's on it. I ran down the stairs, and grabbed my converse from in front of the door. My dad had already left for work, and I thought my mom had as well, until I heard a gasp followed by stifled cries. I walked over to her. "Mom, are you ok?" I asked, lightly putting my hand on her shoulder. She jumped, then looked at me. Her green eyes looked more vibrant against the red from her crying. He normally perfect bun was a mess, and pieces hung down into her face. She looked at me for a split second, then started wiping her eyes with the end of her sleeves. "I'm fine." She finally forced out. I just nodded. I knew she was lying, but my mother was a difficult woman. If she didn't want to tell you something, she wouldn't, and pushing her would only make it worse. I tried to hug her, but it just ended up being awkward and stiff. I left immediately after to avoid any more awkwardness.