Chapter 23

It was October. The NBA season had officially began.

The New York Raisers played on their home court against the Brooklyn Nets, and Khalil led the Raisers to a win, Melanie released her historical documentary and it was well received, and Tara and Cam were happily engaged. There was a lot to celebrate.

Khalil called Suzette and checked on her as Bianca got dressed in their bedroom. After the shooting occurred, Khalil made it a habit to check on her more often.

She had purchased a new home, and was doing very well. She had no worries. Troy was spending at least twenty-five years in prison, their divorce was finalized, and Tracy was out in LA, still working on her acting career.

Bevy was currently spending the night with Letty, as Khalil and Bianca planned to hang out with Melanie, Cam, Tara, Trevante, and Khalil's teammate Miles at a local nightclub.

Bianca finished up her makeup by applying red lipstick onto her lips. She grabbed her purse and held her stilettos in her hand as she and Khalil walked downstairs.

It was chilly outside, so Bianca wore a black jacket over her tight burgundy dress. Khalil kept it simple with a tan sweatshirt, light jeans, and Timberlands.

Bianca sat on the sofa and put her strappy stilettos on. Khalil held a small jewelry box, and as she stood, he opened it and pulled out a diamond necklace. It had a small pendant of a mother holding her babygirl inside of a heart.

She turned around so he could put it around her neck. He clasped it and then planted a kiss on the side of her neck.

She held the pendant, kissed his lips, and said, "Thanks, babe."

He gave her another kiss and then they headed out of the house.

"We got Khalil in the building tonight!" the DJ announced, his voice booming throughout the club.

The crowd hollered, cheering on Khalil. He dapped the DJ with one hand, while still holding Bianca's hand with his other. He put his arm around her shoulders as they continued walking towards the staircase that lead to the VIP section.

Trevante was seated at the VIP booth with his girlfriend Crissy. Trevante's energy wasn't as vibrant as it usually was. He seemed tense.

Crissy excitedly stood up to greet Khalil and Bianca. Trevante reluctantly stood and dapped Khalil as Bianca and Crissy hugged.

"What's up, bro? Still salty about the game?" Khalil teased Trevante.

Trevante forced a smile. There were times when Khalil's team won against Vante's, and there were times when Vante's team won against Khalil's. They never took it personal. They always teased each other and laughed it off. But tonight was different.

Vante had never felt this way towards Khalil before, but lately Khalil irked him. He just didn't get it. What was it about Khalil that everyone seemed to love so much and were so attached to? Even after it was publicly known that he cheated on his wife, people were still showering him with love as if he was a saint.

Yeah, Khalil was handsome and good at basketball. But to Vante, he wasn't special; he was just a regular dude that knew how to play ball. It was jealousy, but Vante would never admit that. In his mind, he had valid reasons to feel the way he felt.

They sat in the VIP booth, and Khalil ordered a few bottles of wine, Hennessy, and Moët.

Melanie, Cam, and Tara made it to the club and walked up to the booth.

There was a major difference in the way that Vante greeted them versus the way he had greeted Khalil. He genuinely smiled and hugged them.

"I see you got your ass whooped on the court last night," Cam joked, while throwing fake punches at Vante.