Unknowing

"Fine, I'll accept your deal.. As long as the UEC still stands as it is." Captain glared at ██████, who only grinned in reply.

"Are you sure? There's no comin' back from this y'know.. No goin' back! Ahehehe.." They giggled.

Captain already knew that. From the moment the XCF forces started to push them further and further into a corner from the moment they started dwindling in numbers..

He has lost so much to even care anymore. If playing another role was all it took, then he'll gladly take it.

They both looked the same after all. No one will notice. No one will know.

██████ pulled out their hand, expecting a handshake from the other. To seal the deal.

"I'm waitin'."

Captain breathed in and out, before shakily bringing up a hand to shake theirs.

All he could remember was a slight discomfort, and a sudden snap of-

...

Captain. Captain. Captain.. That is him. He remembered walking through the hallways, heading to his office to do whatever.

He remembered ordering clones around. He remembered dissing freezer. He remembered the times he hanged out with some of the clones during his free time. He remembered when he laughed. He remembered when he hurt, got hurt, felt, slept.. He remembered when Captain was him.

Ah. Captain.

That was him.

...

Who was he?

...

Overlord awoke in cold sweat, heavily breathing as he observed his surroundings, eyes darting around the area.

He was still in his chambers.

He wiped some sweat off his forehead. What was he dreaming about? No matter how hard he tried to hold on to a piece of that memory, it slipped through his fingers like water. Oh well. Such was the nature of dreams anyway.

Some light had already shone through the slightly opaque curtains in his bedroom. It's time to get ready.

He mumbled a few curses under his breath (Waking up full of sweat was weird.. And sticky. He hated that.) before getting off his bed to call the servants. He'll ponder over it once he's done with his meeting with some of the generals leading his army to the UEC base.

Perhaps he'll send another batch of swordsmen to act as a decoy. Actually, why was he even doing that? It felt like he was showing mercy to those he literally wanted destroyed. Maybe it was because of something else he couldn't remember? He'd been fighting the UEC for quite a while now.

He always felt inclined to fight them, no matter when. He had to. He needed to. What was the reason? He could've just sent the entire army at once, or maybe sent an assassin to their main commander, the Captain..

So familiar. Who was-

His head hurt again. He clutched at it, trying to ease the pain, even a little.

Soon, it settled down.. Perhaps it had something to do with the truth?

A few knocks on the door caught his attention.

".. Yes, you may open it." Overlord called out, while deciding to sit on a nearby chair.

The servant peeked in as they opened the door.

"Greetings, your Lord.. I heard that you requested of me?"

...

After minutes, he had found himself in front of his mirror, admiring the armor he had built from cysian material. Grabbing his staff, he went outside of his chambers to walk his way to his throne room. The generals have already assembled there, he was told.

Soon, two guards had opened the door for him, showing him the proud, strong and feared generals of his army. With him being its ruler.

He made his way to the throne, sitting on it. It felt so fitting, but something felt off.

The voices of the men in the room drowned out his previous thoughts. Oh well, it doesn't matter anymore.

Overlord always forgot. Just like always.