My old man and my sea

I'm here again. I hear that sound again. The sound of sea waves hovering against the picturesque cliff on which I stand. The screams of seagulls flying through the sky reach my ears. And my ears enjoy this unique music. I smile gently, absorbing the views in front of me, and a note of melancholy haunts me along with warm memories of this place. I sit on the edge of a cliff, hang my legs down and wait. As always. Like every year. Until you come to me. You're gonna talk to me. You're going to answer the questions that bother me. You're gonna tell me one of your fishing adventures. Like when you hunted sharks. Or how the waves became so big and strong and dangerous that you barely made it back to shore. Until you come up behind me again without making any noise. You put your hand on my shoulder, I'll turn around, and you greet me with your old, square smile. Wrinkles will appear in the corners of your glowing eyes and already slightly dry lips. And there's nothing I can do but answer the same. I'll give you a hug to show you how much I missed you. I want you to pull me to you, sit me next to you, stroke my head, and start describing everything that surrounds us. Starting with a blade of grass and ending with the weather. I want you to tell me again if it's perfect for fishing or if there's a storm this time.
I want it all so badly, but I know I'm not gonna get it. But I'm still sitting here. And I'm waiting. Even though you'll never come again. You have no way.
Grandpa... you taught me and taught me everything that matters to me. You raised me to be a boy who, in spite of adversity, can handle life. Who can love another human. Who loves the sea as much as you do.
I know you're with me right now, watching. Like always. And I... I will sit here for a while, smiling, admiring the waves of the sea, the waves that have accompanied us forever. Which we loved together. And which will always remind me of you.
That's why I'll keep coming here. But this time alone. Without my old man, but with my old sea.