Chapter One

Sloan woke up extra early, as she prepared for her first day back at Hawkins High, the place she'd all but abandoned five years ago when her father asked for a divorce from her mother and toted Lo to Indy. She stared at herself in the full-length mirror attached to her closet door as she inspected her outfit being sure nothing was out of place. "Hey, Lo mom wanted to know if you need a ride to school?" Dustin smiled at his sister in the mirror as she turned to meet his goofy grin, shaking her head she grabbed her bag and headed with him downstairs. "Nancy Wheeler is going to pick me up, but thanks mom." She smiled, placing a kiss on her mom's cheek as she ran to the door waiting on the porch for the familiar station wagon to pull into view.

"Nancy Wheeler, it's been way too long!" Lo cheered as she jumped in hugging her friend over the center console. "Sloan Henderson, I didn't think you'd ever return." She teased as they pulled onto the street and headed to school. She told Sloan all about the things she'd missed, people who had left, and any drama to stay away from. "Ugh, I hate jocks," Lo replied as Nancy warned her about the basketball team tormenting her brother, along with Dustin as well. "I dare someone to put their hands on my brother." She threatened as they parked and exited the car, "And what are you gonna do about it?" Sloan heard a voice behind her, turning defensive as she swiveled on her heels to greet none other than Steve Harrington. "Oh my god, Nancy you didn't tell me King Steve was still around." She teased throwing herself into the young man's arms. "Lo, how are you?" He asked lifting her off of the ground, spinning in a few circles, she blushed looking away, as he put her back down. "I'm good, how are you, Steve?"

"Not bad, just became manager over at Family Video, with Robin." He smiled as the short-haired blonde emerged from the passenger seat of his car. "Not sure if you guys had met when you were here last." Sloan smiled, "How's it going, Buckley?" Robin gasped, feigning shock. "Sloan Henderson, the prettiest girl that ever got away from Hawkins, or however you said it, right dingus?" She teased, as Steve's eyes grew wide Lo seemed a little nervous, playing with the strap of her bag. "Well it was great seeing you again Steve, We've gotta catch up soon?" She asked as she headed towards the school. "Yeah, hey we're having a movie night tonight at Wheelers, why don't you come with Dustin?" Steve yelled, nervously rubbing the back of his neck. The young girl turned and smiled at her friends, "Sounds good, I'll make some brownies see you tonight!" Robin huffed a laugh and Nancy rolled her eyes, "Smooth Steve, she just got back and she doesn't even know he's still here, let alone he will be there." Nancy grabbed her books and headed into the school behind her. Steve sighed as he leaned against his car, Robin patting him on the shoulder, "Look I know that you've got it bad for the girl, have for years but let her settle, especially when she realizes Eddie's still in Hawkins she's not going to need you trying to get in her pants, she's gonna need friends." "Yeah yeah, get to class, dingus." He mumbled as he threw himself back into his car and off to the morning shift at work.

As Sloan entered her first period she let out a sigh of relief when she met Robin's eyes, at least she knew someone in there. "Henderson sit by me, please!" She teased and Lo smiled taking the desk next to her. "Well thank god there's someone in my first class, and it's you! Did you remember me from 5 years ago or did Nancy tell you my last name?" Robin's smile dropped a bit, fearing that she wasn't as remembered as she thought. "I remembered you, I swear we were in Mr. Livingston's class 5th grade!" The girls chatted until the bell rang and the teacher began introductions and handing out packets with a reading list. "So sorry I'm late Mrs. Mills, the battery was dead in my van this morning." Sloan heard a gruff voice from the door but didn't look up, continuing to sift through the list to see which books she already had, and which she'd have to check out from the library. She heard a small squeal coming from Robin's direction, and she shot her a look, "You good?" "Sloan, I'm so sorry I was going to tell you earlier..." She was cut off by a book dropping in front of her on the ground, Without thinking she picked it up and looked up to return it to the owner. "Sorry about that-" "Here ya go-" they said in unison when their eyes locked. "No fuckin' way." Sloan couldn't believe that this was happening, it had to be a dream. Nightmare. Without another word, she handed the book back to the rightful owner facing toward the board and taking notes. Eddie snapped back to reality when Robin smacked his arm making him jump as he moved back to the empty seat behind her.