06

Functioning on this little sleep should be illegal. After last night catastrophe, I've turned and twirled in my bed, eyes wide opened and mind spinning with worst case scenarios and apprehension of next morning's activity. I was almost relieved when I saw the sun crept in between my curtains because it meant I had lost my battle against sleep and I could move on. Bax and I were meeting by the beach's parking lot before today's comp for Blue Varsity—which was most of the guys on our team's chance to get sponsored. I get up from my bed, exhausted and I can feel the puffiness under my eyes. I go into the bathroom to take a quick shower and bring some fresh clothes to change into. Nothing too flashy but I still make sure I look good because... you know, Bax.
The fog has curl the ends of my hair, making them frizzy so I try to brush them out with my fingers while I make my way to the kitchen. My father is most probably already awaken and back from his morning's surf so it's no surprise when I hear bowls clatter in the kitchen.
I stop when a second voice comes into hear, one I would recognized everywhere. One who would definitely make a great lullaby to fall asleep to.
"— I've been competing, Elo's coaching now. I'm great, Mr.Cowen."
"Trevor, please. I'm not that old. So are you sponsored?"
"Yes. Blue Varsity."
"That's great. I bet you get so many freebies. Man, those were the best."
I finally make my way to the kitchen and see my father and Bax around the isle, both sipping on coffee like they're two old friends catching up.
"Um. What are you doing here?" I croak, my voice is still asleep and almost quiet but still, they both hear me as their heads turn my way.
"Morning, honey." My dad smiles, opening the cabinet to grab a third mug and fill it with coffee.
"Hi, dad." I kiss him on the cheek and start making myself breakfast, a very blend bowl of cereal.
"No good morning for me?" Bax's smirk is hidden by his mug but his eyebrows are shot up to his forehead and he has that playful spark in his eyes. It's too early for his cocky remarks and I haven't have enough sleep or coffee to know how to deal with them. Not today. So I ignore it.
"Thanks." I say to my dad before diving my lips into the burning hot liquid. I shift my focus on the boy in front of me. "We were supposed to meet at the beach." My tone is sharp and bitter, like my dad's coffee which I put two more spoonful of sugar in it. I sit on one of the stool and start eating my cereals.
"Isabelle, the beach?" My father questions as if I hadn't realized what I just said.
"Yes, dad. The. Beach."
"Does he–"
"He knows." I interrupt him.
"He knows and he's going to help her, sir." Bax adds, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips.
"I knew I always liked you, boy. Come here." My dad goes straight for Bax, his arms wrapping him in a too tight hug.
"Stop praising him, oh my god. His ego is already as big as it is." I can't help myself but say, my eyes rolling when they meet with Bax's proud ones above my father's shoulder.
"Bax, how can I thank you?" My dad excitedly questions when pulling away.
"There's no need. I'm happy to do it." He waves off the offer and I'm surprised. I thought he might have wanted to get something out of this, anything that my father's old connection in the surfing world could potentially help his career.
"Money?"
"Dad!" I exclaim, embarrassed he would even propose it. Especially to him. Bax chuckles, his head slightly dropping to hide that permanent sunburn on his cheeks. We're both thinking it, how offering money sounded, like I'm a product and he's the buyer.
"What? Not in that way, of course. What do you want?"
There's a few seconds of silence between the two before Bax's gaze briefly stops on me—for just a moment too long, I can't avoid the blush from tinting my cheeks—and drifts to behind me.
"How about those?" He jerks his chin to the half opened curtain where all of our boards, mostly old, are kept hidden.
"Oh, those are useless. Most of them are too old to bring into water, their fins too loose and used." My father explains.
"Can I repair one? I'll bring her back, I swear."
"If that's what you want, sure. You come pick it up whenever you want."
I slurp on the milk quickly before putting the bowl in the sink. Cool, now that he's getting something in return of his help, I feel like shit, and even more embarrassed about bringing him into my secret. I twirl on my heels to Bax, my eyebrows risen high on my forehead.
"Can we go, now?" I say, annoyed.