Chapter 4 - Balsam

"Why didn't you come to work yesterday? Chief was all over my ass, yelling at me like I somehow was at fault that you're not here

"Why didn't you come to work yesterday? Chief was all over my ass, yelling at me like I somehow was at fault that you're not here. Maybe next time don't just disappeared without an excuse, it's giving you bad rep." Sun scoffed as his co-worker entered the office.

Ming, still battling his morning headache, sat down at his desk. He let out an annoyed groan as he noticed a stack of files piled infront of him. "I went to go see my parents, my mom is os in the hospital."

"Oh." Sun took his feet off the desk. "Sorry. I didn't mean..."

"Don't worry about it." Ming slowly shuffled the folders around. It was almost disappointing that there was just one murder, which definitely wasn't done by the serial killer. He was gone just four days; how was there seven cases?

"Is all of this from the past four days?" He frowned. Sun awkwardly chuckled. "Actually... it's from this last month. You were so focused on the venom killer that it just piled up, and chief Kamoi got a little mad about it."

"Don't neglect your work." A rolled up newspaper has hit Ming over the head as their boss entered the office. "I warned you before. This investigating unit works on all cases equally, none take priority. So get your head in the game, or I'll suspend you again."

"Did he just quote High school musical?" Sun whispered, earning himself a newspaper smack as well.

Kamoi frowned. "I like that movie."

Ming sighed. As soon as their supervisor was out of sight, he leaned over the desk to Sun. "Hey, in the past four days...was there another victim?"

Sun shook his head. "No. But between you and me...I think Kamoi is hiding something." He whispered. "He's acting all shady and covers his desk whenever I walk around."

Ming frowned. It was unlike chief to keep things hidden, as usually he would reinforce the idea of the whole team working the case. Suspicious of his boss's behaviour Ming kept a close eye on him for the next couple of days, heavily focusing on the fact that Kamoi would lock his computer every time he left his desk.

☆☆★☆☆

"Sorted." Ming said with an exasperated sigh as he slapped the folders onto his boss's desk at the end of the week. He hated the actual footwork during investigation and would rather send a team of techs to do it, ordering them left and right.

"And the stabbing?" Kamoi flipped through the folders.

"Jealous girlfriend, cheating ex. She's in custody now, awaiting trial, so it's out of our hands."

"You sound disappointed." Kamoi lifted an eyebrow. "Usually at this point you'd be happy that it's closed case."

Ming chewed his lip. "It's just... that guy. It's been four weeks since the last victim, I thought-"