I Have No Need to Know This

I walked into the bathroom to Nora checking her pregnant belly out in the mirror. She ran her hand over a six month stomach with a child. I frowned. It's only been a month since I found out and already she was showing significantly. Only another two months and the baby would be here.

"You know, when a Witch is pregnant," she began, "her powers weaken. But Red," she turned and smiled, "I feel stronger than ever carrying one of your kind." I gently gripped her shoulders and kissed her forehead. "I hope they're just like you." She cupped my face. "Handsome and strong." She put her arms around my thick waist and nuzzled her face into my hard stomach. "And dependable and kind." I rubbed her back. She moaned. "That feels really good, honey." She groaned.

"Are you still feeling growing pain in your back?" I asked as I adjusted the pressure of my meaty hands on her muscles. She hummed at my massaging on her lower back and shoulders.

She eventually nodded in response.

"When do you think they'll arrive?" I asked.

"Sooner than later." She answered.

Nora walked away holding her arched back. I wondered how she was thinking of fighting in her state. Magic doesn't affect the baby, all of the witches in my house claimed. I could only trust them as this was a battle Nora and them had to fight.

*****

As I was chopping wood outside by the side of the cabin for the fire inside, an annoying voice began talking a good distance from me.

"Hey man," I knew the voice's owner before anything had to be heard.

"What's up, David?" I asked, my back towards him. I lifted my ax and sliced right through a log. I could hear the small shudder that went through the witch's body. I could smell the hesitation in his feet to turn and run. I could feel the air full of an attempt to strike a conversation with me.

"I was just curious how you and Nora met?"

I grabbed another log and placed it on top of the giant stump I was using as a base for splitting. I threw my ax down once more in front of the man and felt everything over again.

"I was poisoned by some hunters in Canada, brought all the way here across the continent, and sold to Nora." I turned slightly to just get a glimpse of his reaction.

The witch's skinny arms were folded over his broad chest, his long legs standing apart. Most likely a stance the man had quickly developed in my presence to seem calm.

"How do you know her?" I asked, grabbing another log.

"We met back in 1964." It still baffled my mind when I was reminded how old my wife was. "She saved me from some werewolves actually."

"Why were you around my kind?" I split another log, feeling once more hesitation in the man's presence. My current actions were probably conjuring past trauma from being around people like me.

"I was actually helping people hunt your kind."

I grabbed another log and split it. I rested the ax on my shoulder and fully turned towards him, not a single drop of sweat on my hard face, but with my enhanced vision, I watched multiple drops of perspiration on the scrawny man's face before me.

"And why would you admit that to me?"

He threw his arms down and tried to look a little more easy going than I preferred. "I want to be truthful with you. I think it's great that Nora's finally met her mate. God knows how long she's searched. She used to search you out, investigating all sorts of packs. That's how I met her. She taught me to like your kind."