ᴛʜᴇ ꜱʜɪᴍᴍᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ʟɪɢʜᴛ

TWO

NEUVILLETTE STOOD BEFORE the grand fountain of Lucine, lost in the hypnotic sound of running water. His eyes were cast downward, cowering beneath the weight of a long and trying day. The trickling fall of water, as it cascaded down the ornate structure, provided a soothing backdrop to his thoughts. The day's responsibilities had pressed heavily upon him, and he could feel the weariness of it all, like a heavy cloak resting on his shoulders.

The sound of water, it consumed his senses. In this moment, he could pick up on many things via the water that ran throughout the city like its lifeblood – the ebb and flow of daily life, the steady rhythm of existence. Yet, in this tranquil interlude, the only sensation that surrounded him was one of gentle stillness. It wrapped around him like a protective shroud, providing a brief respite from the demands of his duties.

With a deep breath, Neuvillette lifted his gaze from the calming fountain to the grand opera house towering in the near distance. Just yesterday, he had been there, presiding over trials and making crucial judgments. Today, however, he had returned for a different reason. He had received an invitation to a performance, and with some spare time to spare, he decided to indulge in a moment of leisure, taking a step back from his arduous responsibilities.

Shedding the weight of his earlier sentiments, Neuvillette made his way toward the grand building. As he stepped through the grand doors, the opulence of the opera house embraced him. Climbing a few stairs, he entered a vestibule where a dense gathering of people engaged in lively conversations, finding their seats in a matter of moments.

He acknowledged those who greeted him with a polite nod, his presence commanding a certain respect. He navigated his way through the throng of elegantly dressed individuals, making his way toward the heart of the audience. His aim was to sit as close to the stage as possible, ensuring he had an unobstructed view of the forthcoming performance.

Neuvillette now sat in his plush seat, hands resting on the arms, savoring this brief respite from his duties. He shut his eyes briefly, seeking a moment of solitude amidst the grandeur of the opera house. His mind wandered, caught between the memories of yesterday's trials and the anticipation of the performance about to unfold.

Just as Neuvillette began to lose himself in the echoes of conversations and the melodies of the orchestra tuning their instruments, a soft voice gently intruded upon his thoughts. His eyes fluttered open, and there before him stood a Melusine attendant.

"Excuse me, Monsieur Neuvillette," the Melusine said, her voice carrying a refined tone, "You have received an invitation to join the (L/n) family in their box this evening."

Neuvillette furrowed his brows in curiosity, wondering who could be extending such an invitation. "The (L/n) family?" He mused, his exhaustion momentarily forgotten in the intrigue of the unexpected invitation, "The surname sounds rather familiar..."

The Melusine offered a gracious smile. "They are a pretty prominent family in Fontaine, Monsieur Neuvillette. Perhaps a matter of importance requires your attention."

Feeling a twinge of exhaustion from the events of the day, Neuvillette sighed softly, making up his mind. With a nod of acceptance, he replied to the Melusine, "Very well, I accept."

Rising from his seat, Neuvillette followed her out of the audience and into a hallway that led to a network of stairs. They climbed the steps in silence until they reached a set of opulent curtains. This was the entrance to the box where the sender awaited.

As Neuvillette pushed aside the curtains, he stepped into the dimly lit box. His gaze was drawn to two lofty chairs elegantly arranged to face the stage, adorned with intricately carved wooden arms.