Prologue

In the kingdom of Goryeo, the venerable King Gangjong, the sovereign of the time, bequeathed his legacy unto his eldest son, Crown Prince Wang Ji, who was duly anointed as King Gojong. Ascending the throne at the tender age of twenty-seven, the young monarch bore the weight of a kingdom on his shoulders. Yet fate was unkind, for afflictions of the body plagued him relentlessly, rendering him unable to steer the ship of state for prolonged stretches. Time wore on, and the splendour of his reign dimmed as his sight failed and his strength waned, confining his rule to a mere span of four fleeting years.

From the loins of the same noble lineage, the next mantle of sovereignty fell upon the shoulders of King Gojong's first brother, Prince Wang Jil, anointed as the crown prince. Amidst the ebb and flow of challenges that swept the kingdom, he, with unwavering determination, ascended the gilded throne as King Wonjong. Beside him stood the stalwart presence of his younger brother, Prince Wang Jung, who lent his unwavering support. Guided by the wisdom and sagacity of his elder sibling, the realm witnessed a reign characterised by sagacity and equity.

___________________________