Struck In Darkness

'Takes place after the Doppleclones retreated from the fight in Station Square.'

In the remains of Soleanna, Mephiles was overlooking some stuff in his armory. Until the remaining Doppleclones that fought by his side came in.

"Master. We've got bad news." Sin said. "The Freedom Fighters have destroyed Dimentio!"

Mephiles sighed in frustration and amusement. He knew that Dimentio was gonna be destroyed eventually.

"Should've known." Mephiles said, amused. "He was no match for the Freedom Fighters like last time. Even at full power as the Time Overlord he still lost."

"What shall we do?" Dec asked.

Mephiles took out a list of materials needed for his next plan.

"Go out and find these very items on my list." Mephiles explained, handing the list out to the Doppleclones.

"What's so important that you need from this list?" Quad asked.

"My vengestone armor was vitally damaged during that last battle." Mephiles replied. "So, I need a stronger material that can't be surpassed from pure chaos energy."

"What about this stuff of the Freedom Fighters' DNA?" Oct said.

"I think it's so our master can use their own powers against them." Sen said.

"Yes. Exactly." Mephiles responded. "Travel the universe, my Doppleclones! And don't come back until you've gotten me everything I need for my plan!"

"Yes, Master!" The Doppleclones said in unison, following their master's orders.

The Doppleclones left off to gather what Mephiles needs. He sighed in frustration, and took off his armor activator.

"At least the Apocalypse Crystals survived..." Mephiles thought. "Sonic and his friends will pay for this!"

He grabbed his cloak, and put down his armor activator. Mephiles then looked around to make sure the Doppleclones were gone, and went down to his secret room within the lab.

(In the basement...)

Mephiles teleported in quietly. He looked over to what looks like four cryogenic chambers. But what it really was, is preservation chambers for clones.

"My old team... during the war on Earth... Soon you will be back at my side once again. With all of your memories! And together... Mobius will be ours!" Mephiles said out loud, to the people who were inside.

(Flashback; Days of Darkness)

Mephiles was making sure all of the preparations for when Sonic and his friends were to attack. The Octostrikers walked over to him, letting him know of what's going on.

"Master... our defenses are set." Gizmo said.

"Good." Mephiles said, turning to them. "Is there anything else you need to tell me?"

"Well... we're just a little concerned with something." Jinx said.

"Like what?" Mephiles asked.

"Well... what if they actually destroy you?" Rogue explained. "What would happen to us after that?"

Mephiles hadn't thought about that. But what would happen is that Jinx, Rogue, and Gizmo would be set free, from Mephiles control if he's destroyed.

"It would mean we'd all turn back to our old selves again." Scourge said. "The control on me is much stronger than you guys, so you'll revert back to being on Octavio's side again."

"That is correct." Mephiles said. "Which is why incase of an emergency... I've been preparing up chambers to have clones of you with all of your memories and fighting skills, as well your loyalty to me would remain as well."

Mephiles handed a set of blueprints to Gizmo for the clone chambers for him to build.

"Very well, master." Gizmo said. "I'll begin construction on these right away!"

"Good. As well, I'll need a sample of your DNA from each of you, in order for this to work." Mephiles said.

"Yes, master." The Octostrikers said, in unison.

Jinx, Rogue, and Gizmo left off get what they need for their master. Scourge stayed behind since he isn't one of the actual Octostrikers.

"Scourge, what you'll do is get me the DNA of the original leader of the Octostrikers. Revenant." Mephiles ordered. "Since I don't know if you'll remain to Robotnik's side if the heroes win this war, it's for a clone of him combined with your current loyalty with me, as well your powers."

"Very well, master." Scourge bowed, and dashed off.

"That should give me enough time to prepare everything, while my army is training." Mephiles said, to himself.

Mephiles went back to work on how to find another way to stop his powers from fading or at least find a way to slow the process down.

(End of flashback)

Mephiles' thoughts went back to present day, looking back to the clones of the Octostrikers that he will soon awaken. He took out his emerald and listened close, to figure out what's next for his ways of destruction.

It seems Mephiles is trying to get back his old team. But the Freedom Fighters don't know that yet. Will they find out in the near future, or in a surprise attack?

(End of Part 1)

(Publish date: 11/6/2023)