Part 8

Chuuya collapsed onto the hard ground next to the bare tree. It happened when he was sleeping, when he woke up, it was gone. The last maple leaf is gone.

Chuuya felt the urge to use his belt to hang himself to the tree. His soul could be sealed into the tree forever. He would never let the last leaf fall, for whoever's sake. But, Dazai told him not to give his life up...

The snow was falling at an immense pace. Chuuya went back into the apartment in despair As the radio cackled with noise.

"Manchester will endure a large snowstorm that will likely cause flood waters when the snow melts. This will result in damages and possibly worse outcomes. This is the largest snowfall Manchester has ever experienced. Citizens should—"

Chuuya switched off the radio. If most of the city will endure damage, how will the bare maple tree even last through the winter without breaking?

"Chuuya." Dazai's voice muttered suddenly.

Chuuya widened his eyes in shock as he stared at the doorway. The slim, tall figure is covered in bandages. Dazai.

(Continuing the previous conversation of Dazai with the mysterious speaker)

***

"Where are you going, Dazai?"

"To Chuuya. I miss him, you know?" Dazai spoke in his sassy tone.

The voice tutted as if he couldn't stand Dazai's silliness.

"I will never know your true intentions, Dazai-san."

Dazai smiled, before leaving for the apartment.

Chuuya would never get over the fact that I'm alive. The only way to help him is to be dead. Yet he would need me to survive...

Dazai's mind was scattered and cluttered.

***

"Chuuya."
Chuuya widened his eyes in shock as he stared at the doorway. The slim, tall figure is covered in bandages. Dazai.

"What the–"

"Shh..." Dazai petted Chuuya's head and sighed. "You know I'm just a part of your imagination. Don't get excited."

"Right. You're just an illusion." Chuuya mumbled sadly. Right, Dazai's dead now. Dead dead.

"But it doesn't mean you can ignore me." Laughed Dazai, his smile lighting up the room. "What a mess you've made, Chuuya." Dazai pointed at the couch.

Chuuya touched Dazai's bandage-wrapped arms.

"Yes. You are an illusion. When I come back to my senses, when I'm not delirious anymore, I will see a bunch of bandages lying on the ground." Chuuya wrapped his arms around Dazai's waist. His body warmth was there. "And I'll find myself hugging Ane-san when I'm awake."

"Chuuya, only you could be so calm while saying this," thought Dazai bitterly.

"I don't want this dream to end," said Chuuya, burying himself into Dazai, his petite body only allowed him to reach Dazai's neck, on his tiptoes.

"If I am only dreaming of you when I'm sick, then I don't want to heal. I would plunge myself into an endless abyss to think of you."

"Chuuya, since when were you so poetic?" Joked Dazai, compensating with Chuuya's voice.

"I could be as poetic as I want for a stray dog." Chuuya led go of Dazai, "By that, I mean you, Dazai. Your mind is stray, you were never accepted."

Dazai simply looked at Chuuya.

"But I want you to never be stray again. Because you're my soul in a different body."

"A body taller than you." Joked Dazai, unable to say anything else without sounding depressed.

Chuuya punched Dazai in the arm.

"Gosh. His punches are so weak now." Dazai felt like crying at the feeling of Chuuya's hit. If it were only two months ago, Dazai could be sent flying.

"Chuuya. I've got to go. Wake up." Dazai left for the door, leaving Chuuya.