Chapter 1: Graduation Day

Josie's POV

I entered my room with my hands on my hips and a smile on my face.

Graduation day, the moment I've been waiting for!

After four years of blood, sweet, and tears, I managed to complete my bachelor's degree. It was not only an achievement to myself but to my family as well. In Caribbean culture, education is highly revered because it showcases a person's success through hard work, discipline, and intelligence. It's even more important if that person is among the first generation of college graduates in their family, which was the case for me.

"Yo Jos!" Andrew stood outside my door. "Mom says that we're leaving in 30 minutes. Don't be late."

"You could have made your point without the last part" I responded begrudgingly.

He sucked his teeth. "Don't get vex with me now, you know you the one holding up the line, eh?"

"Okay, I get it thanks. Now can you leave?"

Thankfully my sarcasm was a good enough hint for Andrew to leave so I walked to my closet to find what I could wear. Earing my degree was a difficult task but this might be a step above that. Clothes plays a main role in self expression, but growing up I always felt siffled and deprived of that freedom. My mom did her darndest to instill in me the importance of dressing modestly, but that unfortunately resulted in me looking like a child. It also doesn't help that I looked younger than my age, thus making it more evident that I was being infantilized. While these rules weren't exclusively applied to me, I sure received stricter treatment compared to my brothers.

After going back and forth for what seemed like forever, I made a bold choice and chose a short champagne lace dress. It was modest enough to cover my intimate areas but modern enough to make me feel sexy. I pulled out a pair of high heels with floral designs and pink bucket bag.

Dress: https://pin.it/6N57UrC

Shoes: https://pin.it/6nnv0tc

Bag: https://pin.it/U1dFhgW

These were gifts from my maternal aunt and her husband to congratulate me on graduating and on top of that, they managed to fly in from Martinique to attend the ceremony. It made me feel more at ease that they'll be in town for a few days after my graduation because they were more fun and easy going than my mother. How I sometimes wished I was their daughter, especially since they don't have one of their own.

Earrings: https://pin.it/6ySibyl

After putting on my pearl drop earrings and customized James Avery bracelet, I checked the time on my phone. "Oh shit!" I exclaimed. It had been 15 minutes since my brother delivered my mother's message. The good news is that I already ate lunch and washed my face. The bad news is that I have to do my makeup and I'm far from being a decisive person when it comes to choosing a look. I mean, I literally took 50% of that time putting together an outfit.

"Okay let me keep it simple: primer, color corrector, powder, concealer, eyeshadow, mascara, lip liner, liquid lipstick, blush, and highlighter" I strategized as pulled out the corresponding products.

Okay it sounded more simple in my head.

I began applying them on my face step by step in the order I called out. As I was doing my lips, I jumped to the sound of someone knocking on my door.

"Oh good, you're almost done" my mother observed. She frowned once she noticed my outfit.

"You know it was your sister and her husband who sent me this" I reminded. "Are you going to make me send it back to them?"