15: 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒐𝒏'𝒔 𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒔

┏━━━ ————————━━━┓

𝐒𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐒𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 - 𝐂𝐡. 15
"𝒐𝒌𝒂𝒚, 𝒗𝒂𝒎𝒑 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒈𝒂𝒓 𝒅𝒂𝒅𝒅𝒚."

┗━━━————————━━━┛

      — "THANKS FOR COMING, RIC." Damon greeted as he opened the door. Skyler walked downstairs as her eldest brother allowed his so-called drinking buddy and Hunter into the house. Closing the door behind the hunter, he asked, "You need something to drink? Coffee? Bourbon?"

She tried not to tense as she made eye contact with him. Hunters weren't exactly known to be fond of the supernatural, and no matter how friendly he was with her brother, she couldn't trust him. "Bourbon in your coffee?" She chimed in as she stepped into the entrance room where Damon and Alaric stood. Surveying the room quickly, she found Elena and Stefan sat on the couch and made her way over, sitting on the arm of the couch beside her twin.

"Elena mentioned you needed my help." Alaric told them, Damon gestured for him to take a seat, which he did with his eyes on Skyler. She gave a wave and winked.

She was a stranger in this town now. The time since she had ruled this town had long since passed, and nobody knew her as anything but the mysterious sister of her brothers, mysterious in their own right.

"Yeah, we were hoping you could shed some light on the Lockwood family." Stefan explained as the man got comfortable.

Alaric seemed curious but not entirely surprised which intrigued Skyler who began to eye him curiously. "Now why would I know anything about the Lockwoods?"

"Well, you wouldn't, but you're dead-" Damon began as he sat down, "not dead vampire wife might."

He looked down as Elena chimed in, "Isobel's research from when you guys were at Duke together."

"You said that she had spent years researching this town." Stefan continued. Skyler stayed silent, studying the man with narrowed eyes. She looked at the things others wouldn't pay any attention to. Little tells in his eyes, his posture, and when he spoke, his tone.

"Isobel's research here- Mystic Falls - was rooted in folklore and legend." Alaric told them cautiously, "At the time I thought most of which was fiction."

At the end of his words, Skyler let out a hum of agreement as she raised her chin arrogantly, "I am indeed a work of fiction." She smirked, "Far too perfect for the real world, and the likes of this town." Indeed, she was too perfectly dark for this town. She no longer felt she belonged here, a town wrapped in mystery and secrets. She belonged draped in the darkness of the Mikaelsons, who hid in the shadows but never hesitated to come out for the call of family.

"Like that amazing vampire story." Damon continued, ignoring Skyler's comment in favor of pursuing more information that could help his theory, now found to be a fact. She rolled her eyes but leaned forward in intrigue as she masked her expression with a seriousness she couldn't currently grasp when she already had all the answers to their rather simple questions.

"Aside from vampires, what else?" She asked Alaric, unable to help herself, she continued sarcastically, "Mermaids? Werewolves? Witches?" She tilted her head as if half of them weren't known to be true, her eyes twinkled and she gasped dramatically, "Oh please tell me dragons exist!"