Chapter 3

It had been some time since the day that the Flame Pillar, Rengoku, accompanied you on that mission and since he also agreed to train you.

However, shortly after that mission, he was sent off on another and hadn't been back since.

When would you see him again?

Was he alright?

Why was it taking so long for him to come back?

These questions plagued your mind as you laid in bed, staring up at the wooden ceiling above.

It was so quiet yet your thoughts were so loud, making it impossible for you to feel even the slightest bit tired.

So you decided not to and pushed yourself up and out of bed.

You had been staying with Shinobu at her butterfly mansion as you awaited Rengoku's return so you had to be extremely quiet on your way outside.

When you were in the clear, you took up one of the wooden training swords and began practicing your swings all the while letting your mind wander.

Would he actually return?

Perhaps he was just lying about training you.

No.

You swung the sword once more.

He didn't seem like the type of man who would lie, especially about that.

Now that you were thinking about it though..what kind of man really is Rengoku?

Maybe being his Tsuguko woud allow you to get closer to him and get to know him better.

Wait.

You paused and stared down at your grip.

Why would you want that?

Well..he was pretty cool and well liked by every demon slayer he's met so far. It's hard not to want to know more about him.

But..getting too attached probably wouldn't be a good idea.

You took a deep breath and then exhaled it deeply as you cast your gaze upwards towards the moon.

It was getting late now and soon dawn would be approaching but still you didn't feel tired. In fact, you felt more awake than ever.

"Can't sleep?" A soft, feminine voice spoke up from somewhere behind you.

You spun around quickly to see her. Her small frame sat a few feet away on the engawa. She was so quiet that you never even noticed her but judging by the way she was sitting there, she had been watching you for some time.

Kochō Shinobu, the insect Hashira as well as owner of this butterfly mansion was who she was. She sat there quietly with a small smile that you never could be certain of whether it was genuine or not.

"Lady Shinobu..Sorry.. did I wake you?" You asked as you began closing the distance between you both. She shook her head.

"No, not at all. I've been up. Come, sit with me?"

She tapped the spot beside her, urging you to sit there, which you did.

You always felt a bit nervous when in the presence of any of the Hashira since they were so much further above you in rank. They were the best of the best and you couldn't help but feel small compared to them.

Shinobu looked over at you as you sat at her side then ahead at seemingly nothing in particular.

The silence between you both felt awkward to you and when you looked over at her, she slowly turned to look at you as well, plunging the moment deeper down this awkward pit that was forming.