Chapter 01

Morgana fidgeted in the truck seat, her eyes flicking to the alpha who had essentially accepted her as payment for her father's $800,000,000 gambling debt. She was scared of him because her wolf could sense his power. And she didn't mean just his muscles, which she could plainly see through his shirt. Her stomach growled but she didn't say anything, she'd already cost the man so much after all. He drove on until they at last arrived at his pack house, a cabin like mansion nestled deep in the woods far from the home she'd grown up in with her father and late mother. Four stories high with enough square footage that the shabby two story cottage she had just left behind would fit inside at least two hundred times over.

"Out of the car," the alpha snarled as he came to a stop in the driveway. "And if you even think of running, I'll run you down and tear your throat out myself." His scent in Morgana's nostrils was sharp with bloodlust—she knew he was almost hoping she'd try. Not all werewolves shared the moral code her own parents had raised her with.

She was pushed roughly inside, and half dragged by the alpha up the stairs. When they reached a room at the top to the left, the alpha wrenched the door open and shoved her in.

"This is your mate, son," the alpha said bluntly. "Happy birthday. Now get to it— the sooner she bears her first litter of pups, the sooner our pack will grow stronger."

He slammed the door, leaving her alone with the young man.

Morgana's eyes widened as she heard the words, having learned from her parents that while werewolves could fuck and have pups with anyone there was no forcing a mating bond. Either two wolves were predestined mates or they weren't. Either way, when the door closed she looked at the young man she was expected to breed with. Her heart almost stopped as his eyes met hers, his wolf and her's howled with joy in their heads as they acknowledged each other as predestined mates. Her heart began hammering, every instinct in her body demanding she go to her mate and get his pups inside of her. Tentatively she opened a mind link to him. "Should we do as your father suggested or get to know each other as people first?" she asked in his mind, not using her actual voice just in case her new—as humans would put it—father in law was listening for sounds of breeding.

Travis looked away, feeling awkward and uncertain. "We should do as he says," he said across the mind link. "If I walk out of here without mating-scent on me, it will end badly for both of us. It is safer to consummate our mating now. I'll...do my best to make sure it's good for you."

It was almost sweet, his uncertainty.

Morgana nodded as she removed her clothes, which were seriously patched and frayed in many places. Afterwards she approached him. "Do I get to know your name before you plunge into me?" she asked, submitting herself to her mate in the process. Praying to the moon goddess that it wouldn't hurt too bad and she'd get pregnant easily, since the alpha was expecting her to pay the pack's investment into her back with pups. She idly wondered how many pups from her body it would take to pay back $800,000,000.

"My name is Travis," he said. "Travis Helbrecht." Then, intoning the ancient words spoken by newly mated werewolves for millennia, he said, "I accept you as my mate. My den is your den. My prey is your prey. My territory is your territory. I will give you strong pups and a safe den and fresh meat to eat." He held his palm up, drawing on his wolf to sharpen one of his fingernails into a claw before slicing a shallow cut on his hand. He let the blood drip onto the floor. "By this, and in the sight of the moon goddess, I so swear."

Morgana repeated the ancient ritual and then closed her eyes in anticipation, her virgin slit was wet with arousal as her wolf eagerly awaited their mate. She knew that the moment his seed spilled into her belly she'd get pregnant. That their pups would be growing in her womb, kicking their way to life. That in nine months she'd open her legs and scream and cry as she pushed their first pups into the world.