Chapter 3

Travis smiled as he knew the perfect potential mate for Carly, especially seeing as she was definitively in line to be the beta female of the pack when he took over. Morgana saw the look in his eyes and smiled.

"I think I know just the male," said Travis with a knowing grin. "Morgana, wanna help me play a little matchmaker?"

"Of course, it'll be extremely fun." Morgana said with a kiss to Travis' mouth, smiling as she was so happy for Carly. Her new friend was going to join her in motherhood. That thought alone made Morgana feel like she belonged.

"Oh, yeah." Travis agreed. "Carly's a sweet girl and she deserves to be happy. My father and some of the males pick on her all the time because she's so quiet. She doesn't just want a mate, she needs one to protect her. Females like that need a good male by their side."

"I'm sure you'll match her with the perfect mate, since you're the best in the pack." Morgana said placing her hands on Travis' chest, looking exactly like what she was. A loving and devoted mate pregnant with her mate's pups. The majority of the pack were happy to see it, but kept it to themselves because the current alpha didn't like such things at all. In fact he didn't believe in predestined mates at all, thought it was just a load of bullshit made up by wolves so in love they couldn't move past each other at all. Which was why he bred any female he could, since females were only good for breeding and raising pups. At least in his view.

"Then let's go talk to him," Travis said with a wink, giving her boob a playful, seductive squeeze.

Morgana smiled as Travis squeezed her boob playfully, kissing him before she let him lead the way. Carly followed closely. Hoping to at last have a mate who would fill her belly with pups.

Travis waited until they were no longer in hearing range before turning and adding, "There is just one catch, and this is why I couldn't talk about it here. The guy is human, Carly. He's not of our kind. Do you still want to meet him?"

"Yes, if he's good enough for you then he's good enough for me." Carly said enthusiastically, clearly more comfortable with figuratively eating humans than literally eating them. Which secured her the position as future beta female.

Travis nodded. "Great, then let's get out to my car and be on our way. I'll drive you over to his house."

Morgana and Carly went to Travis' car, excited to get out of the packhouse for just a little while. Morgana took the front passenger seat while Carly got in the backseat.

As he drove, Travis decided to tell Carly a little bit more about her prospective mate. "His name's Blake," he said. "Real nice guy—built like a brick house, but beneath all that height and muscle he's a huge teddy bear. He's about to turn 29 and wants to settle down, but dating's hard for him. A lot of women are intimidated by his size and that tends to scare them off. He'll be real pleased when I tell him there's a girl ready to tie the knot without any fuss."

"He sounds perfect for me, thank you so much alpha." Carly said, addressing Travis by his future title, her instincts telling her he was more worthy of the title than his father. Morgana smiled at the practical demonstration of the concept Rudyard Kipling wrote into his series The Jungle Book. That the strength of pack is the wolf and the strength of the wolf is the pack, something Travis could capitalize on in his plans to take the pack from his father. For if he could carefully win the hearts of the pack then it would make things easier for him when he took over.

Blake's house was about half an hour away, but Morgana did a lot to help pass the time by telling Carly what an awesome mate she was going to be, how healthy and strong her pups would be when she got pregnant. By the time they got there it was all Carly could do not to break the door down, that's how excited she was.