Chapter 7

The evening on the beach had been magical for Steve. He had feared losing Charlie due to his mistake, but it hadn't been as perfect as it could have been without that unfortunate night. Charlie was reserved, tense, and less touchy-feely than usual. Of course, Steve understood that it would take time for Charlie to overcome his mistake. He was already lucky that Charlie was giving him a chance, even if he knew that it was somewhat influenced by their bond. He had asked Charlie about it, and Charlie had confirmed that without their bond, he would have ended their relationship, and even with the bond, he would still do it if Steve cheated again. This answer had hurt the soldier, but he didn't show it and accepted it. After all, he loved Charlie too much to behave that way again.

That night, neither of them slept much, but not for the reasons Steve would have hoped. Charlie held him in a way that made it clear that nothing more would happen. It unsettled Steve and made him feel even guiltier about what he had done. It was the first time since they had been together that they didn't make love on the night they reunited. It was also the first time they didn't make love at all during their time together. Charlie had to leave the next day to return to work and made it clear to Steve that he was still too hurt to go further. The soldier let him go, filled with guilt and regret, vowing never to hurt his lover like that again.

Weeks and cases kept coming, putting a strain on Steve's nerves. Every time he considered using the Portkey to Romania to be with Charlie, a crucial investigation prevented him from doing so. The wizard eventually came to visit, and finally, the two men could spend time together—interrupted by another case. After the dragon caretaker left, Mary teased her brother about the passionate night he had shared and the sounds she had heard. This teasing opened the door for them to discuss Steve's relationship with Charlie. It made Steve realize that Marie was perfectly fine with seeing her brother with a man, and he was actually radiant when his lover was around him.

The couple found their rhythm and balance again. Charlie showed jealousy when Steve met Catherine, and to Steve's surprise, Charlie always seemed to know when it happened. Steve wondered if Charlie had cast a spell on him or if it was due to their bond, but he didn't care much. The soldier preferred to be transparent with Charlie and would voluntarily mention it every time he called or met with Catherine, downplaying it as much as possible.

That morning, the two naked men took their time waking up. They kissed fervently, their hands exploring every area with meticulous care and their sexes clamoring for attention. Steve ran his mouth down the freckled torso, again tasting his man's wild flavor. He never tired of rediscovering it again and again, feeling as if he were intoxicated by his smell and taste every time he kissed his skin. The low, muffled sounds he provoked in his lover sounded like a melody he would have liked to hear all day and all night if he could. Finally, he reached the height of the object of his desires, stuck out his tongue to savor the bitterness he knew he'd find there, but was stopped in his tracks by the magical alert, coming from the spells placed by the wizard who cut it off, immediately followed by a voice coming from the stairs.

"Steve, are you there?"

"Seriously?" asked Charlie annoyingly, who had recognized Catherine's voice. "Does she often trespass?"

"No, it's the first time." replied Steve, also very upset at being interrupted.

Knocking sounded at his bedroom door. Steve felt like taking a cold shower and felt his lover's body react in the same way as his own. Dejected, he felt like killing the young woman for interrupting them, but realized that Charlie was far more annoyed than he was and might well cast a stinging spell on the importune.

"Let me handle it," whispered the dark-haired man.

"I'm not planning to hide."

The dragon caretaker's bad mood came through in his voice and Steve kissed him gently to calm him down; he wasn't going to ask him to hide, but would do his best not to let his secret be discovered. He then stood up, put on a pair of boxer shorts and one of his trousers, took his T-shirt in his hand and checked that his erection was no longer visible, but noted that Catherine's arrival had been more effective than a cold shower on this issue, then he ajar the door.