2020-2021: The Album and The Show

On April 22, it was confirmed that the group would be working with Lady Gaga on her sixth studio album, Chromatica. Their collaboration, "Sour Candy", was released as a promotional single on May 28, 2020. On the Billboard Hot 100, the song debuted at number 33, giving Blackpink their first top 40 hit and becoming the highest-charting song on the charts. group in the US at the time, as well as the highest charting song by a K-pop girl group. In Australia, the song debuted at number eight, becoming Blackpink's most successful hit in the country. It was also their first top 20 single in the United Kingdom, debuting at number 17.On May 18, YG Entertainment announced that the group would release a pre-release single in June, followed by an additional single in July and August, to promote their debut Korean studio album. On June 2, YG Entertainment confirmed that following the release of the studio album, members Rosé, Lisa, and Jisoo would release individual projects, with Rosé arriving first. Amid the group's comeback preparations, YG Entertainment released a prologue for Blackpink's newest reality show, 24/365 with Blackpink, on June 13, ahead of its release on YouTube. The show documents their 2020 comebacks as well as sharing their daily lives through vlogs. The single "How You Like That" was heavily promoted on social media ahead of its digital release on June 26th. The song reached number one on Gaon Streamin's Digital, Download and Streaming charts for three weeks. "How You Like That" became Blackpink's fifth song to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 (peaking at number 33), and its music video broke five Guinness World Records. The song ranked first on YouTube Music's Top 10 Global Summer Songs of 2020 and won Song of the Summer at the 2020 MTV Video Music Awards, making Blackpink the first Korean female act to win at the awards show. On July 23, YG Entertainment announced that a second single, "Ice Cream", featuring American singer Selena Gomez, would be released on August 28. "Ice Cream" debuted and peaked at number 13 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Blackpink's highest-charting song. Its debut at number 39 in the United Kingdom made Blackpink the Korean act with the most top 40 hits (five) in that region at the time.Blackpink released their debut Korean studio album, The Album, on October 2, 2020, with "Lovesick Girls" as its third and lead single. Ahead of the premiere of the exclusive video for their "Lovesick Girls" music video, Blackpink appeared on YouTube's new original music show launch as its first featured artist, which included "unfiltered access" moments from the group. The album reached number two on the Billboard 200 and the UK Albums Chart, making Blackpink the highest-charting Korean female act on each. The album also set a first-week album sales record for a Korean girl group, with 590,000 copies sold in just one day after the physical album's release. Blackpink became the first K-pop girl group to sell one million copies with The Album, selling approximately 1.2 million copies in less than a month after its release. Blackpink performed "Lovesick Girls" on Good Morning America and Jimmy Kimmel Live! in the United States on October 21.The group's first documentary, Blackpink: Light Up the Sky, premiered on Netflix on October 14, 2020, and covered the four years since the group's debut in 2016. The documentary includes footage from their training days, looks into their lives in house, behind-the-scenes stories and member interviews, as well as glimpses into the creation of The Album. The commercial success of The Album, combined with the group's Netflix documentary, resulted in Blackpink topping Bloomberg's Pop Star Power Ranking for the month of October; they were the first Korean act to top the ranking since its inception in April of that year.On December 2, Blackpink announced their collaboration with YouTube Music for their first live concert. The live event, dubbed "The Show", was initially scheduled to take place on December 27, 2020, but was rescheduled to January 31, 2021, due to new COVID-19 pandemic regulations introduced in South Korea. The concert featured the first live performances of several songs from The Album, as well as Rosé's song "Gone" from her debut solo album R. More than 280,000 people purchased subscriptions to access the show, and the show was broadcast live in 100 countries.Blackpink in 2021.Blackpink released a Japanese version of The Album on August 3, 2021 with Japanese versions for four of the eight tracks ("How You Like That", "Pretty Savage", "Lovesick Girls" and "You Never Know"), which peaked at number three on the Oricon Albums Chart. To promote the album, they appeared on Japanese music television programs such as TV Asahi's Music Station. On August 4, a documentary titled Blackpink: The Movie was released in theaters in South Korea and around the world, which included exclusive interviews with the group, as well as live performances from The Show and In Your Area World Tour.