Public image and reception

Since their debut, Blackpink has emerged as a prominent act in K-pop and has been labeled as the "biggest girl group in the world", "biggest K-pop girl band on the planet", and "Queens of K-pop". Insider wrote that they "burst onto the K-pop scene with a set of singles that set them on the path to becoming ambassadors of the girl crush concept", encapsulating "confidence, sensuality and inspiring assurance, in the K-pop scene". Billboard called them girl crush's "most visible K-pop representatives" after the release of "Ddu-Du Ddu-Du" in 2018. In South Korea, they ranked first on the Forbes Korea Power Celebrity 40 list in 2019, third in 2020 and second in 2021. International media outlets such as Forbes, Billboard and The Hollywood Reporter recognized the group's popularity and contribution to spreading the Korean wave globally. Blackpink was cited by Rolling Stone as an exception to the stereotype that the most successful K-pop acts in the United States are boy groups.The group was also credited as one of two artists leading the growth of the Korean music industry by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). Blackpink has appeared on several power lists. They were the first girl group to make Forbes' 30 Under 30 Asia and were named to the 2019 Time 100 Next Rising Stars list, credited with "heralding a new era of Korean acts breaking through language barriers to perform on stage global" when they became the first K-pop group to perform at Coachella, the biggest music festival in the world. In another first for a Korean act, Blackpink was named the world's biggest musicians for the month of October 2020 in Bloomberg's Pop Star Power Ranking. People magazine included Blackpink on its list of women changing the music industry. They became the third girl group in history to grace the cover of Rolling Stone, after the Spice Girls and Destiny's Child, when they covered the magazine's June 2022 issue.Blackpink has amassed a large following on social media and streaming platforms. They became the most subscribed music group on YouTube in September 2019, and the most subscribed female act on YouTube in July 2020, and the most subscribed music act overall, as of September 2021, with over 76 million subscribers in August 2022. On Instagram, the group's members are also the four most followed individuals in South Korea (in order from first to fourth: Lisa, Jennie, Jisoo and Rosé). Blackpink became the most followed girl group on Spotify in November 2019; As of August 2021, they have over 31 million followers.Especially in South Korea, Blackpink's influence also extends to fashion. Each member has served as global ambassadors for different luxury brands: Jisoo for Dior, Jennie for Chanel, Rosé for Yves Saint Laurent, and Lisa for Bulgari and Celine. Additionally, Blackpink has been credited with bringing international attention to the South Korean hanbok through their modern reinterpretations of the traditional attire in their "How You Like That" music video and performances. The group considers fashion to be an important part of their public image, with Jennie telling Elle magazine that it "definitely empowers us as much as music" and Rosé describing it as inseparable from her music. His style is known for mixing group uniformity with individual tastes.