Chapter 7

Perrie's POV

Monday. September 9

Echo Ridge has one bar, which technically is only half in town because it sits right on the border of neighbouring Solsbury. Unlike most Echo Ridge businesses, Tomlinson's Tavern has a reputation for leaving people alone. They won't serve minors, but they don't card at the door. So that's where I meet Jonnie on Monday afternoon, after spending the first day back at school pretending that yeah, sure, I knew my brother was around.

Tomlinson's doesn't look like it belongs in Echo Ridge. Its small and dark, with a long bar at the front, a few scarred tables scattered around the room, and a dartboard and pool table in the back. The only thing on the walls is a neon Budweiser sign with a flickering w. There's nothing cute or quaint about it.

"You couldn't have give me a heads up you were in town?" I ask when I slide into a seat across from Jonnie. I mean to say it like a joke, but it doesn't come out that way. 

"Hello to you too, little sis," Jonnie says. I saw him less than a week ago, but he looks bigger here than he did in our Aunt's basement apartment. Maybe because Jonnie was always larger than life in Echo Ridge. Not that the two of us ever hung out at Tomlinson's before. Or anywhere, really. Back in grade school, when my Dad was trying to make me and sports happen, Jonnie would occasionally deign to play with me. I opted for basketball as it seemed the least aggressive. Jonnie would get bored fast though, and the more I missed, the harder he'd throw. After a while I'd give up trying to catch the ball and just put my hands up to protect my head. What's your problem? he'd complain. I'm not trying to hit you. Trust me, would you?

He'd say that as if he'd ever done anything to earn it. 

"You want something to drink?" Jonnie asks.

"Coke, I guess."

Jonnie raises his hand to an elderly waitress in a faded red t-shirt cleaning beer taps behind the bar. "Two Cokes, please," he says when she arrives at our table. She nods without much interest.

I wait until she leaves to ask, "What are you doing here?"

A muscle twitches in Jonnie's jaw. "You say it like I'm violating some kind of restraining order. It's a free country."

"Yeah, but..." I trail off as the waitress returns, placing cocktail napkins and tall glasses of Coke with ice in front of us. My phone exploded during lunch once word got out that Jonnie was in Echo Ridge. And he knows that. He knows exactly the kind of reaction this would get.

Jonnie leans forward, resting his forearms on the table. They're almost twice the size of mine. He works construction jobs when he's not taking classes, and it keeps him in better shape than football did in high school. He lowers his voice, even though the only other people in Tomlinson's are two old guys wearing baseball caps at the end of the bar. "I'm sick of being treated like a criminal, Perrie. I didn't do anything. Remember?" He rubs a hand over his face. "Or do you not believe that anymore? Did you ever?"

"Of course I did. Do." I stab at the ice in my drink with my straw. "But why now? First Sairah's back and now you. What's going on?"

The ghost of a frown flits across Jonnie's face when I mention Sairah, so quick I almost miss it. "I'm not back, Perrie. I still live in New Hampshire. I'm here to see someone, that's all."

"Who? Sairah?"

Jonnie heaves an exasperated sigh. "Why are you so hung up on Sairah? Do you still have a thing for her?"

"No. I'm just trying to figure this out. I saw you last week, and you never said you were coming." Jonnie shrugs and takes a sip of Coke, avoiding my eyes. "And it's kind of shitty timing, you know. With all the crap going on around town."