BJR--June 25th

"Okay.  So I have about a bajillion to go cups.  You have the coffee and the hot chocolate.  Jason is placing bets that Lauren has a meltdown and pays somebody to have Casey on Skype in the delivery room.  I told him Dad had better odds calling some people and having Casey here by Monday."  Aspen finishes slamming the passenger door to my Jeep, then works on making herself comfy in the shotgun position.  "Now."  She wiggles around and has tried at least 20 different seating positions in five minutes.  I just set here, on the driver's side, unmoving.  "Tell me all about the date."  She finally finds a position she deems acceptable, folds her hands together intertwining her fingers, then lays them in her lap and looks at me.  "What?"

I'm just staring at her.  "Do you think people believe we do this shit just to fuck with them?"

"Huh?"  Her face scrunches up in confusion.  "Did something happen on your date?"  In more ways than one, my friend.

I shake my head.  "Not the date.  I'm purty positive that didn't end well."  I made a mental note to apologize to Crawford later today at a more reasonable hour than 3am.  I gestured to what Aspen was wearing.  "The pajamas.  You think everyone in town thinks we plan matching outfits and hairstyles to fuck with them?"

By the time I'd got home from my date.  Dates?  Plural?  Am I counting the one with Crawford as a date?  Hunter's definitely counted.  But before that?  I was only there and chatting for 30 minutes.

By the time I'd got back to my house, I'd changed into pajamas then started the warsher.  Another mental note: change over laundry to dryer later after baby is born.  But now, setting here in the Jeep with Aspen, we really do look like we coordinated outfits.

Aspen looks down at herself then over to me.  "Huh.  I guess I never really realized we do this.  Oh god.  Do we do this all the time?"  How do I fucking know?  I just grabbed the first pair out of my drawer.  "I just grabbed the first pair on top."  Voicing my own thoughts exactly.

We both had the Easter pajamas Jolene's grandma put in our baskets from this year.  We both had all of our hair piled on top of our heads.

"You think Jo will show in hers?"  I smiled at that question.

"20 bucks says yes and that she has bunny slippers to match."

Aspen blinked.  "Does she even have bunny slippers?  I don't have bunny slippers."  Some reason that part really bothered her. 

Get Aspen bunny slippers for her birthday.

"Good thing the bet isn't for you then."

"So...date.  Don't think I didn't catch on you switched topics really quick.  Why do you think it didn't end well?"

Well...ya know.  Your brother showed up and tossed me over his shoulder and carried me away.

"It wasn't bad, per say."  It just never really started.  Ya know, because aforementioned brother heaving me like a sack of potatoes.

"Okay..."

"He was late.  And I get it--emergencies, ya know?  I don't even know why that part still bugs me.  It was a fire for fuck's sake."  Aspen gasps next to me.  "Everyone's good.  According to him it was small."  She exhales, nerves visibly easing.  "And then the whole part where I had to drive myself.  What's that about?"

The longer I've had to process Hunter's words, the angrier I get.  And yes, I know, it's all irrational, but a second date shouldn't be the date where it's suggested to meet them there.