Two

HIS WRIST WAS SHACKLED TO THE DESK. 

He stared at the board, brows furrowed as he tried to concentrate on what Teacher was saying. 

"When a substance reacts with oxygen gas, releasing energy in the form of light or heat, it is called—" Teacher stopped mid-sentence, staring at the boy. 

"Combustion," the boy said confidently, his seven-year-old voice holding as much authority as it could. 

Teacher nodded. She never complimented him; not once, not even if he answered a challenging question. It just made the boy feel even more lonely...though he wasn't sure who he was missing. 

There was Teacher, the Scientist, and the Agents he saw.

Who else was there? 

He searched his mind as he balanced the equation that Teacher had written on the board.  

Who else was there? 

Multiply hydrogen by two... 

Who else was there? 

Multiply oxygen by three...

Who else was there? 

"Brilla brilla la stellina." 

He froze, his pencil hovering over the page. What was that? 

"Su nel cielo piccolina." 

His hands trembled. He stared unseeing at the numbers and letters he had written on his page. Teacher stared, her eyes narrowed as she watched hurt and confusion overwhelm her student's face. 

"Brilla brilla sopra noi.

"Winter Spider?" Teacher asked, her voice cold. 

He looked up and she saw his wide eyes. 

"The equation?" asked Teacher. 

His mind spinning, the boy looked down, quickly reciting the numbers out loud. But Teacher could tell the difference; his voice was younger, more broken—he sounded lost. 

"Mi domando di chi sei." 

"Papa?" the boy asked out loud, and Teacher frowned.

She turned away from her star* student, a hand going to her nude-colored earpiece. 

"We need a helmet ready for WS02." 

~ Lyn 

Words: 283

Well, that was really short! 

Nevertheless, I hope you guys liked it. <333 

*pun intended, lol