CHAPTER 2: FILLING IN FOR DADDY

The week has gone by quickly. Tom and I  go back to work today, Monday.  Tom took me out for a romantic date night on Sunday night.

Tom was going to work all day in a new position, helping out in the station, answering calls, doing computer work for them, typing, filing.  His dad's captain knew since Tom was married, he would want to start making more money, so he offered Tom the office job. He told Tom at the wedding reception, that he would not be insulted if Tom turned it down because he thought of it as an office job. But Tom was honored. And wanted all day work every day and the extra money. Tom even told him that he wanted to still clean, if that job was still going to be available. Tom said he could do that a couple nights a week.  I told him I would help him.

Tom told me that while he was excited to be working full time at the station, and really helping out with computer work, he was going to miss being with me all day.  I told him I felt the same. Even though I was excited to go back to the vet clinic, I missed the animals and my coworkers, I would miss being with Tom.

Molly was all excited because she was going to a all-day play date at one of her little girlfriend's house.  In fact, all the girls in Molly's kindergarten class were invited. They were going to have cupcakes, and pizza, and play barbies.

Margaret was working a tough case, so she asked me if I could take Molly and then pick her up that afternoon after I got off work. Which I told her was no problem.

Molly was so cute, she was so excited to go, she had seen some of her friends this summer, but not all of them. She missed her little friends.

I walked her in, and gave her a hug, and told her to have fun.  All of her friends wanted me to stay and show them my rings.  They thought they were beautiful.

When I got to work, I was greeted with a little party. They had donuts and smoothies, and all welcomed me back and was teasing me about Tom, and did he do his husband duties good.

Making me blush, which they laughed.

About 2 hours later, my cell phone rang, and it was Molly.  I went in the back to take the call.

I said, "hey Molly"

She said, "Madison, I was wanting to know when do you get off work. Mommy said that you would pick me up when you get off."

I said, "yes honey I will be there, I get off work at 5."

She said, 'oh, ok Maddie. Bye."

I said, "Molly honey wait a minute."

I could tell that Molly was upset. She sounded sad.  Such a difference from the excited little girl who could barely sit still in the car.

I said, "honey what's wrong?"

She said, "nothing, I was just hoping that you got off soon."

I said, "sweetie are you wanting to come home"

She said, "yes."

I said, "I see. Well give me a few minutes and I can go pick you up."

She said, "No Maddie. It's ok. I can stay."

I said, 'Molly it's not a problem"

She said, "Madison I don't want mommy to get mad at me. She will think I'm bothering you, you have to work. I can stay."

I said, "Molly  how about you help me today. I will call your mom and ask her if I can get you to help me, because we are short handed today, and I  could use some help, playing with the puppies.  This one lady's dog had a litter of puppies and then they had to go out of town on an emergency, so we have to babysit their puppies."