A.Putellas: Watch It

"Why aren't you training with us?"

That was the question on everyone's lips. You were known for only allowing significant injuries to stop you, so when the team could see you were physically fine, they couldn't understand why you'd been moved to lighter duties.

You and Alexia had agreed you wouldn't tell anyone until after your first scan. Being first-time parents, you were suffering from the effects of watching too many movies that had some kind of pregnancy complication in the storyline.

Of course, this secret would be easier to keep if Alexia wasn't already acting like a lion protecting their young.

It didn't surprise you. From very early on in your relationship, you'd known that Alexia was a protector.

When a waitress gave you a little hint of sarcasm in her tone in a restaurant, she was the first to take over the interaction and demand that you be respected.

When a man who was a little too drunk approached you in a busy bar, Alexia practically flew across the room to take him away from you.

When the fans had gone a little too hard on you after you were shown a red card in one of the final games of the season, Alexia posted a story of you both, captioning it: Mistakes are lessons, my love. The internet quickly changed their minds, deciding that if Alexia still loved you, so did they.

All of these little things weren't so little to Alexia, not where you were concerned.

And now you were pregnant, she had two people to protect.

The first half hour of training was fine; you'd managed to fob everyone off by telling them you had an ankle injury. Alexia had been whisked away to talk to the media, leaving you to head to the gym with the rest of the girls.

"How did it happen?" Irene asked.
"What?" You raised an eyebrow.
"Your ankle injury."

Oops. Yeah.

"It felt a little tight after the game last week, just got worse. Better safe than sorry, I guess."
"Will you miss this weekends game?"
"Most likely." You sighed, putting some life into your lies.

As you spoke, you were too distracted to notice that Irene had begun to do some bicep curls beside you, too focused on doing the stretches you'd been given. She was in your space, but nowhere near your stomach.

"Watch it!" Alexia rushed back into the room.
"Ale, it's..."
"What did I do?" Irene was half confused, half annoyed by your girlfriends tone.
"Uh... If... if you dropped that it could land on her ankle and injure her more."
"And if Kris Jenner was my mum I could be Kim Kardashian. Both those things equally unlikely to happen. Chill a bit." Irene shrugged.

You could see Alexia's annoyance at how careless her teammate was being around you. Worried she might explode and tell everyone the truth, you stood to your feet and wrapped an arm around her to usher her to the other side of the room.

"She doesn't know, Ale. If she knew, she wouldn't be so blasé." You whispered.
"Hm." She huffed.
"Oi, lovebirds. What're you whispering about?"

Lucy gave you a jokey nudge as she asked her question at the worst possible time to even breathe the same air as you. When you didn't respond, she gave you a second nudge with a hum for good measure.

"Watch it!" Alexia's tone was firmer now.
"What did I do?" Lucy chuckled in disbelief.
"Just... be careful! You could've knocked her over and hurt her ankle more."
"Ale, I'm fine." You gave her the eyes.
"Yeah... right... sorry. I didn't sleep much last night."