Chapter 5

Afterwards....

Shifty: High class energy detected ahead, most likely Lord class. 

Anis: What? What's something that big doing here? 

Rapi: I suggest we retreat. 

Marian: what about the missing Nikkes?

Anis: We leave them behind. 

Marian didn't seem pleased with that answer and neither did Flukey. 

Anis: Only 0.2% of Nikkes who go missing are ever recovered. You, of all people, should know these search parties are just for show.

Marian: Well I can't pretend they don't exist either!

Flukey: Neither can I. Regardless of the chances we can't just leave them to die. If I was in their position I'd want someone to come looking for me. 

Marian: The Commander's right. We have to at least try. 

Flukey: By the way, is a Lord really that dangerous? I've learned about them back at the academy but I'd like a second opinion. 

Shifty: Yes. They are the ones who lead high-level Raptures. Their combat capabilities are unparalleled. Judging from the simulation, our chances of success are high, but there's a high probability of us sustaining heavy losses and a 24.35% probability of total annihilation. 

Marian: Commander, should we pull out? 

Despite odds stacked against him, Flukey couldn't bring himself to just up and abandoned the missing Nikkes. 

Flukey: No. I want to continue the search.

Rapi: Then please give the order. That's all we need. We follow the Commander's orders no matter what. 

Flukey: We continue the operation to the end. 

Rapi: Yes, Commander. 

Anis: Commander, you do realize this could be a suicide mission right? So long as our brains remain intact, we Nikkes are no worse off. It's a different story when it comes to humans. You're fine with that. 

Flukey: Yeah. I know what I'm getting into.

Anis: Okay, understood. 

Marian: Commander, please walk behind me. I'll protect you. 

Flukey: Will do. 

Later on and after a fight against Raptures....

Shifty: Battle over. Damage report? 

Rapi: Minimal damage. Sufficient ammo remaining. 

Anis: Same here. 

Marian: Some damage to the left clavicle. Heavy damage to the lower right projector. Abrasion to the left eye caused by stray bullet, no irregularities in identifying targets. Overall damage rate is 17.05%. Still combat-capable. 

Shifty: Very well. 

Anis: Are you sure that's not too high? 

Marian: It doesn't matter. We're almost there. Let's pick up the pace. 

Flukey: Of course but first....

Flukey proceeded to put bandages on Marian's wounds. 

Marian: Commander....

Anis: Commander, what on earth are you doing? That kind of thing is useless to a Nikke. 

Marian: No, it works. 

Anis: Huh? 

Marian: It feels like I'm being healed....from the inside. 

Anis: Mmm.

Rapi: Hm.

Marian: Thank you for the bandages Commander. The pain is already gone. 

Flukey: Heh. Glad I could help. 

Eventually....

Eventually Flukey and his Nikkes made it to the rendezvous point. 

Marian: We're here. 

Anis: No sight of any vanguard. 

Marian: They're here. 

Anis: What? There's nothing here. 

Marian: Let's look around. 

Marian headed off alone and started to look around. 

Anis: Hmm? What is she doing? 

Flukey: I guess she's looking for the missing Nikkes......?

Shifty: Rapi. I've finished analyzing the black box from the transport ship. I'm sending you the report. 

Rapi: Got it. 

Rapi's eyes flashed for a moment as Flukey noticed it. 

Then Rapi's expression changed as she soon pointed her gun at Marian, much to Anis and Flukey's surprise. 

Rapi: Marian, stop right there!

Marian: Roger. 

Flukey: Whoa whoa Rapi what are you doing?!

Rapi: She shot down the transport ship Commander. 

Anis: What? 

Flukey: Wha.....

Marian: No. 

Rapi: There were two explosions inside the transport ship. They were caused by the explosives meant for this operation, which would never go off without an external detonation signal. That detonation signal originated from you, Marian. 

Flukey couldn't believe what he just heard. 

Marian....the Nikke that stuck by his side throughout the entire operation, always put his well-being before hers, and had the attitude of a selfless individual....was also the one responsible for blowing up the transport ship and putting Flukey in the predicament that he was in at the beginning.