Chapter Two

Back where I belong,

Yeah I never felt so strong.

S k y l a r

I turn the key of my front door and enter my beach house, throwing my shopping bags on the corner.  I did quite well today, always being a champion shopper hoping I actually have room in my closet.  It's only a little after 4 so I figure I have time to get a run in before getting ready to see the boys again.  I'm a little excited to get them in my studio.  My phone rings and smile seeing my brothers name on the caller ID.

"Sammy!  How are you?"  Sammy is my twin brother, he plays for one of the Angels minor league teams.  Only a year out of college, he's really close to being called up.  We've been close since we were kids.  Both way too ambitious for our age, other kids didn't really want to hang out with us making our bond even closer as the years went by.  

"I'm in town, want me to come over and make some steaks?"  Both of our weakness is a angus beef New York Strip we can't resist a well cooked steak, one of our many similarities.

"You got a deal, as long as you come over and run with me first."  I know that he'll make my run a much better workout.  Even though we are adults we still have the same competitive edge we've had since we were kids somebody always wins and somebody always loses.  

"Deal.  See ya in a half hour."  He hangs up and I start to put my clothes away.  I have a weakness for shoes and today's trip was not exception.  I change into my workout clothes and head to the back deck to stretch.  On the coast of Venice beach my multimillion dollar beach house puts me only a few hundred yards from the shore.  My back deck is one of my favorite places in the world.  Broken into three separate areas, I have a grand table big enough to fit at least twelve, lounge chairs to soak up the sun, a bar and hot tub and my personal favorite the hammock.  I head to the lounge chair and open the drawer in the table next to it where I know I left my book last night.  One of my favorite hobbies is reading NA fiction and this latest by Colleen Hoover has me absolutely hooked.

I'm about a chapter further than a was before when I hear my backdoor open, I know Sammy has a key he uses quite often.

"Hey sis."  My instincts are right as he comes through the door already dressed in his running clothes.  "Steaks are in the fridge, you ready?"  I nod putting my book aside and grabbing my shoes to put on.  "Are you going to run with the big boys today or are you gonna be a little biiiiiiitch."  He's laughing and I give him a shove.  He looks like a monster compared to me.  His 6'1 frame is all powerful muscle, strong but not bulky making him a machine.  He's also lightning quick making him someone you definitely want as your shortstop.  

"I'm taking you an extra mile today so you might not want to go off like a shot right away!"  I push him out of the way and head for the steps to the beach trying to get the leg up on him.  I'm feeling a challenge today so I pace myself, but push past the two mile marker before turning back and heading for home.  Sammy and I have run pretty close, but as much as I hate to admit I know he's been holding back from me.  Finding strength within myself I push ahead fire burning in my lungs.  I can feel the midday sun on my face and hear the waves crashing near me.  I hear Sam wail as a keep up my punishing pace, he makes me laugh for what seems like the millionth time today.  When was the last time I laughed this much?  It's definitely been a while, it seems like I've been on the road forever.  Being back in California is what I need right now.  Keep up, Sam and I are about two hundred yards from my back deck and this is where the real competition lies.  I speed up and push as hard as I can sprinting to make it to the stairs first.