XI

The breath of relief Lady Alyssa took when she set her eyes upon them riding back through the gates of Winterfell was another reason Visenya was glad she didn't have children

The breath of relief Lady Alyssa took when she set her eyes upon them riding back through the gates of Winterfell was another reason Visenya was glad she didn't have children. Although it was heartwarming, the thought of having that much fear, that much vulnerability was too much to fathom in times of impending war.

Lady Alyssa grabbed her boy's by their heads and pulled them down to her height until she could kiss their heads, ignoring Edric's resistance and Cregan's promises that they were perfectly well.

What Visenya hadn't been expecting was the embrace Lady Alyssa came towards her with and the soft stroke across her hair.

"Thank you Visenya" she whispered, her relief palpable.

Visenya didn't know what to do or to say, she just nodded. Her smile felt strange but she was exhausted. Ghost was exhausted too and Visenya hadn't wanted to tire him more by having him fly her back to Winterfell. She had come from Deepwood Motte on horseback with the rest of the Stark's men. Cregan had been quiet, although he usually was in public.

The only words he'd spoken had been to Ser Darron apart from when they mounted their horses at Deepwood Motte. Visenya had been struggling, her horse much taller than she was used to and no one was around to help her. Or so she thought until she felt a warmth and a presence behind her, a murmured "Come here, princess" in her ear before large hands that she was becoming overly fond of grabbed her around the middle and lifted her up and into her saddle.

The ride to Winterfell had been quiet and uneventful. She rode beside Edric for most of the journey and when they stopped to water the horses, Ser Darron who had never been her biggest supporter even came to help her off her horse and filled her water for her.

When she had thanked him, he had just nodded at her and replied "of course, my lady".

Perhaps the thaw between the Northmen and the Dragon princess had finally made some real progress.

Visenya was greeted by Arrina and Harrin, even Torra had come to the courtyard to greet them. She didn't exactly smile at Visenya but she didn't glower quite so much.

Arrina had been complaining that Harrin had been allowed to go see Ghost while she had not, so once Cregan nodded in approval, Visenya took them to the Wolfswood with Ser Jarrald and two of Cregan's men for extra security. Winter followed them too, keeping a distance but never being too far.

Arrina took some coaxing and reassuring but she did finally put her hand on Ghost, laughing hysterically when Ghost nosed at Winter before the direwolf snapped her jaws at him.

By the time dusk was creeping in, Arrina and Harrin were exhausted and Visenya felt her back and legs aching from the long journey from Bear Island as well as the fight she'd flown into. It was terrifying. She had never flown into battle, never thought she would have to. But on the flight to Bear Island all she could think of was Winterfell being laid waste to by savages. She thought of Arrina and Harrin, even Ingrid and Torra and she felt her fear eclipsed by something else.