Chapter 3

I stared at the numerous raindrops splashing on the windowpane, in sync with the music only I could hear. Outside the window was a pale, foggy, gray sky and some tall stone and brick buildings, surrounded by tall, black fences tapering to points, crumbling slightly with age. I fidgeted with my fingers, tapped my toes, and bit my lip as I got nearer to my destination.

The taxi cab came to a halt.

"You're here," the driver said, looking back at the passenger in the back seat, lost in the voice that sang from her headphones and filled her ears.

He startled me and I shakily reached into my pocket for my twenty dollar bill.

"Keep the change," I said, offering it to him from the back seat and then proceeding to unlock the leather door. I left the smell of rubber inside the car as I unfolded my umbrella and smelled the fresh rain, pattering on top of my head. Gas sputtered out of the taxi cab, giving off an unnatural aroma, and I coughed and watched the car drive off.

I turned around to see that there already was a long line in front of the theatre, my destination. I took my headphones out of my ears and stored my phone in my pocket as I read the sign above the entrance:

Britain's Got Talent Live Finals 2015

This is it. This is the night I've been waiting for.

I couldn't tell what was making me shiver the most: the weather, my nerves, or both. I'm probably more nervous than Calum right now.

I tried not to trip in my high-heeled leather boots as I started to make my way to the back of the long line.

"Kate!"

I turned around when I heard the familiar voice and caught glimpse of the familiar face. Jade and her mum motioned at me to go near their spot towards the front of the line. I walked towards them.

"You know, I don't really mind waiting for a longer time," I suggested with a smile and some steam flooding out of my mouth, hence the cold temperature.

But Jade's mum insisted and pulled me into the line to give me a warm hug. I haven't seen her in so long.

"How are you doing, dearie?" She asked, still pulling me in.

"Nervous," I answered truthfully as we both pulled away.

"Oh, I know," she added. "I bet I'm more nervous than he is."

"I was about to say the same thing, Mrs. Scott," I smirked. "But you must be the proudest mum in the world."

"That is just an underestimation," Jade smiles.

"Nice dress."

"Thank you."

Another thing I really liked about Jade was her fashion sense. I recalled those times when she would take me on random, on-the-spot shopping sprees while Calum's away or busy with something (probably his music, now that I know about it), and she would choose the best clothes that would fit her and me. Sometimes I've seen her pick out Calum's outfits, and I would laugh when Calum would put on an are-you-kidding-me-I-wouldn't-wear-that face and refuse to wear it. Eventually he does, for his sister's sake.

Before we knew it we were at the front of the line. Jade and her mum already had their tickets out and ready, while I had to take some time to search for them in my bag. My fingers rummaged around my headphones and my cosmetics until I found a crumpled envelope with Calum's handwriting on the back. To Kate, it read, with a small heart, written in dark blue ink. Calum sent it to me via mail just a few days ago. I promised myself I didn't want to open it until I was actually at the theatre, afraid that I would lose them before I'm admitted in for the show. I stared at it, at his handwriting, for a while before opening it. I did it all in one motion, leaving ugly tears in the paper where it was once tidy and neat.